Go Back   Weapons Forum > Member's Area > The Lounge

The Lounge

Hurricane Matthew

This is a discussion on Hurricane Matthew within the The Lounge forums, part of the Member's Area category!
He's heading this way. Suppose to make landfall approx. the NC/SC line by Saturday. Also predicted to be a Cat ...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Default Hurricane Matthew

He's heading this way. Suppose to make landfall approx. the NC/SC line by Saturday. Also predicted to be a Cat 2.

Wife and I spent the weekend on Kiawah Island Resort. Left this morning and am currently in Myrtle Beach SC. Looks like we'll cut the vacation short and be heading towards home tomorrow. The SC governor is suppose to make a decision concerning mandatory evac by 3:00pm tomorrow. I don't want to wait until then and find I40 is a parking lot. SC schools are already closed for the rest of the week. They are taking this storm pretty seriously.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Family in South Florida advice from old Floridian.Cap 3 to 5 get out early ,roads will clog fast. Class 1 or 2 high ground and gas up.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Super Moderator

We are home now. We are still considered to be in a low impact area of the storm. Maybe it will make the hard right at North Carolina they are predicting and it will go out to sea.

The people we were visiting in Kiawah Island left after us. We left there around 9:30 in the morning. The roads weren't bad then. Just normal congestion through Charleston, SC. And coming up I40 today wasn't bad. Some gas stations hadn't gotten all of their fuel grades delivered. Many only had 87 regular. Long lines for gas.

Again, we didn't panic and drove to where we were able to pull right into a station and top off our tank. Other stations had cars backed out into the road.

They waited until 6:00PM to leave. They had to go up I26 which came to a standstill. Their 4.5 hour trip took 7.5 hours. 70 minutes to go 20 miles at one point. Multiple traffic stopping accidents.

A friend from Boca Raton FL texted me and said they were locking all the hatches. He has plenty of food, water and gasoline for the generator. I hope Matthew stays off shore and only skirts by.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

This could be a bitch for Florida even over on the west coast where I live. Just shows that a vertical evacuation may be best for some. No getting out if left to late.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Yeah, My friend in Boca really should try to get out of South Fla. or at least get to the West coast. It might be too late already. I can't imagine what the highways must look like right now.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Seeing some light squall lines coming here in Levy co. Gas stations are marking all gas high test and screwing the people. Fights in line by the entitlement people. What a f----d up country. Hillary would be the last nail.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Gassed up when I was in Myrtle Beach and again today here in Roxboro. All they have is regular. No medium grade or high test. I guess they're still trying to catch up from the pipeline break.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Administrator

Be safe out there
ViperJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Super Moderator

East coast of Fla. is taking a beating. As of 7:45 this morning it still hasn't made landfall. It might skirt right up the coast and hit Ga. or SC. There is a front currently across Ok. and Tx. that is suppose to push Matthew back out to sea. It's a timing thing. My gut it telling me it won't get here in time unless it speeds up.
oppo likes this.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Lightbulb

Was in the middle of Hugo in '89, so I have my Hurricane Combat Badge. I don't envy anyone down there now. We MIGHT get a few clouds - maybe some sprinkles - here in Pittsburgh, Saturday afternoon.