Go Back   Weapons Forum > Member's Area > The Lounge

The Lounge

My Friday Project

This is a discussion on My Friday Project within the The Lounge forums, part of the Member's Area category!
We've been going through some wood this year. Been using our wood stove as our main source of heat while ...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Default My Friday Project

We've been going through some wood this year. Been using our wood stove as our main source of heat while we're home. Need to get some more wood split but dreaded the idea of having to stay bent over while operating the splitter or having to put it on car ramps to get it high enough to work with.

So I took on the challenge of raising the splitter. Turnout out pretty good. All that's left is to put some paint on the raw steel to keep it from rusting. Here is a before and after. Raised it up about a foot. Now it's just right.

oppo likes this.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Beats hell out of my mall!!!!
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Beats hell out of my mall!!!!
You don't need firewood in Florida anyhow. I doesn't get cold down there.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

That is why I had 3" of water frozen in the bottom of my bucket truck in 90. Luckily you are right, my wife however thinks 65 is cold. My Harley does not get w winter rest and today it will be 80.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I use to live in Boca and I've vacationed in Orlando. I know Fla. can get cold but it doesn't last long. Mostly long sleeves or sweatshirt weather. On the flip side, I like cold weather during the holiday season. It just helps me get in the mood a little better. I'd take snow on Christmas day as long as it was gone the day after.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Talking

Lift kit on a splitter, eh? Now all it needs are some Super Swampers!
#860 likes this.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Lift kit on a splitter, eh? Now all it needs are some Super Swampers!
The wheels on it are not rated for highway use. I've considered changing out the hubs in order to take rims and tires that are street legal. Not sure whether the cost is worth it though. Probably not taking it anywhere.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I was back on the wood splitter project again today (Hey! it's only Thurs.). I ordered and received a Prince double detent hydraulic valve. The way it works is you pull the lever in one direction and it continues to move the wedge in that direction even when I let go of the lever. Once the wedge reaches the end of it's stroke, the lever automatically returns to neutral. And the same goes for the opposite direction.

The way it worked before was I had to hold the lever in the direction I wanted it to go. If I released the lever, the wedge stopped. Since my splitter splits in both directions I wanted it to act the same no matter which way it was going.

I ended up having to replumb the whole thing. The in and out were opposite of the original valve. Off to Lowes to get an assortment of elbows, reducers and lengths of pipe. Got it all reassembled and it worked right from the start. except it did spew a little fluid because I accidentally overfilled the hydraulic reservoir. Now if the weather would just cooperate I might get some wood split this weekend.
oppo likes this.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Damn, i didn't know you were actually going to use it. I thought you just enjoyed working on it. Lol
ViperJeff and oppo like this.

Greed & corruption is the norm.
#860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by #860 View Post
Damn, i didn't know you were actually going to use it. I thought you just enjoyed working on it. Lol
We've been heating the house with the wood stove almost every night it gets cold enough to do so. Got a fire going right now. And wood don't split itself ya know. But yes, I like tinkering on things. You mess around with stuff long enough you might even learn something.

Right now I'm trying to figure out some of these hydraulic connections. They're called o-ring face seal fittings. I'm trying to convert a 5/8" o-ring face seal to 1/2" or 3/4" npt in order to install a hydraulic filter. I'll figure it out eventually but I'm not finding the right fitting for the job.
oppo likes this.