Go Back   Weapons Forum > Member's Area > The Lounge

The Lounge

Research Question: Napalm

This is a discussion on Research Question: Napalm within the The Lounge forums, part of the Member's Area category!
Hey guys. I joined this site for the bow hunting / rifle section but thought I would poise an off-topic ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thirdgenstudios
  • 1 Post By Max

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Research Question: Napalm

Hey guys. I joined this site for the bow hunting / rifle section but thought I would poise an off-topic question since I'm here anyway. I have been working on a post-apocalyptic novel and have some questions regarding napalm. I was hoping someone could help me with a question that has been stumping me. Is it possible to survive a napalm strike if you are inside a skyscraper building and near a top level? I'm aware that the flames tend to suck up the oxygen and create a terrible amount of carbon monoxide in the immediate area but should there be a point where you'd most likely be at a safe distance vertically?

I'm sure the NSA has been having a blast with my research this last week.

thirdgenstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Haven't a clue on the naplam question. But welcome to the site......I think.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

What SilvrSRT10 said
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

It would be possible to survive the napalm attack. As long as the person wasn't in direct contact with the napalm, he/she may be OK. Napalm doesn't really have much concussive effect to destroy hard structures or even to break windows. The bombs generally burst in the air and spread the chemical in a wide area.
Being that the skyscraper is surrounded by air, any oxygen that is burned off will quickly be replaced with more. If the windows are blown out, the carbon dioxide will dissipate. The real danger is secondary fires and the structural damage that would cause. The are a lot of nasty chemicals that are given off when a building burns, that would probably be a bigger concern than the initial attack.

Now, an FAE like a "daisycutter" would be a different story

"If you treat me as an enemy, I will become one."
dR

Last edited by Jo6pak; 12-30-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Jo6pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Max
Full Access Member

I think the main problem wouldn't be the oxygen (there's plenty of that in a skyscraper), but the resulting fire.
Napalm, as far as I know, burns quite hot, so either the building would catch fire leading to a "structural failure" (collaps), or the elevators and staircases would cause an effect similar to the chimney in a house, sucking the flames into the upper levels of the skyscraper in a very short time (too short to get away with anything short of a parachute).
But who knows, maybe your hero gets a zip-line?

Hope my post was any helpful

Max

By the way, fellow (hopefully soon to be) author here as well.
Imagine how much fun the german NSA-pendant had with me researching for a war-novel.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcome and great answers. It was all very helpful. I'm sure the NSA is having a blast with watching over my research lol.
oppo likes this.
thirdgenstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Max
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by thirdgenstudios View Post
Thanks for the welcome and great answers. It was all very helpful. I'm sure the NSA is having a blast with watching over my research lol.
Maybe they'll even help you with your research, by showing you how a detonating napalm-bomb works.
Right after they drop one onto your part of town.

Max
Concealed 27 likes this.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Administrator

Welcome to the Weapons Forum . . . I think :P
Old 01-15-2015, 12:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Beware of the eye in the sky....they are watching for sure. Welcome to weapons forum and please don't let us see you on the news for detonating napalm lmao.....
Concealed 27
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote