Go Back   Weapons Forum > Member's Area > The Lounge

The Lounge

So Whatcha Doin' Today?

This is a discussion on So Whatcha Doin' Today? within the The Lounge forums, part of the Member's Area category!
Here's a thread just to share any interesting things that happen in your day. I was way out in the ...

Like Tree168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Default So Whatcha Doin' Today?

Here's a thread just to share any interesting things that happen in your day.

I was way out in the country installing a 16' wide by 11' tall door today. I work alone so I have to find ways to assist myself. Like holding up the track at the back while I bolt up everything up front. Gets interesting sometimes. Here's the final results. This customer needed as much height as he could get since he works on farm equipment. I've got it so that the door almost takes the lights off his ceiling. About an inch to spare. He shouldn't have any problems.

oppo and Bluez like this.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Administrator

Coooool

I need a garage door opener for my 12 foot door {seriously}

ViperJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Jeff, I'd recommend a LiftMaster Model 8500 residential jackshaft opener.
In the video it mentions it's pricey cost but you'd spend just as much on a conventional trolly type opener for a door that tall.
oppo likes this.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Administrator

Very nice, price really isn't that bad.

Even looks like something I could do
oppo likes this.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Super Moderator

One little trick to do with a jackshaft opener is to raise the track at the back a little ( a couple inches closer to the ceiling) so that the weight of the door will keep the cables from getting loose. That opener has a loose cable sensor but to keep it from being activated, this little trick helps. Also keep the rollers and hinges lubricated to minimize rolling resistance.
oppo likes this.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I went out this morning and completed a job. Installed a couple openers. I had stopped by the local Advance Auto and picked up four 6 volt golf cart batteries for my scissors lift. Came home and installed them.

Bought each battery individually online and applied a $40 discount to each purchase. If I had put all four into my online shopping cart and then applied the discount all it would have saved me was $40. But by buying each battery as a separate transaction, I saved $40 per battery for a total of $160. You can purchase online and pay for it and say that you'll pick it up at your local store. That's just what I did. Had to explain the method to my madness to the store manager. He hadn't thought of that and said now that's shopping smart.

Took the batteries out of that lift and put them in a JLG 2033E lift a customer was getting rid of. He said if I didn't take it, it was going to the scrap yard. I've cleaned it up and have everything working except it won't turn left. Not getting any hydro fluid from the manifold. It might be an electrical issue. A solenoid isn't opening but the hydro motor is running. I'll be digging deeper tomorrow.

It actually runs nicer than my original lift. The controls are proportional on it whereas my old lift is not. I was considering getting it running and then selling it. I may have to rethink that strategy.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Administrator

Started working on my loom again today after two years
Old 02-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Super Moderator

My wife and I met my parents and aunt for breakfast this morning. Then took the wife to Danville, Va. to the mall to do some shopping. I know...ewww. But wait. The carrot at the end of the stick was we went to Outback Steakhouse for lunch. Yay!

Came back home and went out to look at the JLG scissors lift again. Found where the previous resident (a rat) chewed some wires in two. Spliced them back together and you'll never guess what......I've got left turn now. So now the lift is fully functional. Another yay! Here's a picture of it. Not much to look at but keep in mind, it was given to me. Cost me nothing, nada, zero.

That concrete pad it's sitting on is an upcoming project. I'll be putting a roof over it and closing it in. Adding another 1200 sq. ft. to the shop. So stay tuned.
oppo likes this.

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 02-19-2017 at 04:53 PM.
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Administrator

Outstanding!!!!
Old 02-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Thanks. When I found the section of wire that had been chewed, I knew it had to be the fix for my no left turn problem. The motor would run but no fluid would flow. Getting those wires reconnected opened the solenoid so that fluid would push the cylinder back to the left. I was pretty stoked to solve that riddle.
oppo likes this.