Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > News

News

AR15 or Shotgun for Home Defense

This is a discussion on AR15 or Shotgun for Home Defense within the News forums, part of the General Weapons category!
I just wanted to know what other members have in there home for protection. I have my DPMS AR-15 with ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default AR15 or Shotgun for Home Defense

I just wanted to know what other members have in there home for protection. I have my DPMS AR-15 with a reflex sight and my loads are Remington 45 grain HP....Your thoughts please.....
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Concealed 27; 11-29-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Actually neither. I keep a 6" gp100 357 magnum in the nightstand and usually have a full size M&P in 357 Sig on my hip. I prefer a pistol on me to a rifle or shotgun in the other room, especially with the corners and hallways in my house and the need to protect the kids at the other end of it and upstairs.

That said, a rifle or shotgun is a superior weapon, no question. I have always said that if the circumstances allow, the best plan for defence in the home is to get behind the bed with a 12 gauge or rifle pointed at the door. That is a VERY advantageous position.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I have my Pistols in my night stand also, actually I keep my G19 with a TLR-3 under my pillow loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124G+P...
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

One problem with a rifle for home defense is that most rifle rounds will travel a long way. even after making impact with a wall... I would hate to miss a bad guy by a few inches only to find out that I did not miss one of my family members in the next room. The other problem is as stated above: long guns are sometimes difficult to maneuver in tight spaces...

Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP
Springfield XD-s Single-Stack .45
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
sixtyin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by sixtyin5 View Post
One problem with a rifle for home defense is that most rifle rounds will travel a long way. even after making impact with a wall... I would hate to miss a bad guy by a few inches only to find out that I did not miss one of my family members in the next room. The other problem is as stated above: long guns are sometimes difficult to maneuver in tight spaces...
Actually, with the right ammo, many rifles will penetrate no more or even less than most handguns. The 556/223 is a prime example. Also, any defensive round will easily penetrate multiple interior walls. That is definitely something to keep in mind when planning for a home invasion. Things such as a well placed and stuffed full book shelf, perhaps even reinforced with layers of plywood or something behind it, and staying away from rounds known for penetration can certainly help.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by oppo View Post
Actually, with the right ammo, many rifles will penetrate no more or even less than most handguns. The 556/223 is a prime example. Also, any defensive round will easily penetrate multiple interior walls. That is definitely something to keep in mind when planning for a home invasion. Things such as a well placed and stuffed full book shelf, perhaps even reinforced with layers of plywood or something behind it, and staying away from rounds known for penetration can certainly help.

Thank you kind sir, Thats is why frangible ammunition is produced......
Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Administrator

I use my XDS and 1911 for home defense right now..... one for me and one fer the wife to defend young one if I go down.... But if they get me Iw ill make em suffer for evert scrape of ground
Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Semi Auto shot gun
moodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

What do you have.....
Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I have a kimber ultra covert 2 with crimson grips,hornady defense loads.
moodster is offline   Reply With Quote