Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > News

News

AZ gun instructor killed by 9 year old girl

This is a discussion on AZ gun instructor killed by 9 year old girl within the News forums, part of the General Weapons category!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default AZ gun instructor killed by 9 year old girl

Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Killed by Girl With Uzi
By Hasani Gittens

A shooting range instructor in Arizona was accidentally shot and killed by a 9-year-old girl who was learning how to shoot an Uzi, authorities said on Tuesday.

Charles Vacca, 39, was teaching the girl how to use the automatic weapon on Monday morning at the Last Stop outdoor shooting range in White Hills, Arizona, when she pulled the trigger and the kickback caused the gun to lurch over her head, investigators said.

Vacca was hit by a stray bullet and airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he was pronounced dead late Monday. The girl was at the range with her parents at the time, but their names were not released.

Sam Scarmardo, the manager for the Last Stop's shooting range, told NBC News that "the establish practice at most shooting ranges is 8 years old and up with parental supervision."

He said Vacca was a "great guy, with a great sense of humor" and called him "very conscientious and very professional."

Scarmardo said that the range has never had a similar incident in over a decade of being open — "not even a scratch."

"I just ask everybody to pray for Charlie, and pray for the client, she’s going to have a hard time," said Scarmardo.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety referred inquiries to the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, which didn't return calls for comment.

Ronald Scott, a Phoenix-based firearms safety expert, said most instructors usually have their hands on guns when children are firing high-powered weapons. "You can't give a 9-year-old an Uzi and expect her to control it," Scott told the Associated Press.

President Eisenhower
Jan 17, 1961

Sgt. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Administrator

That's to bad

God Bless... both
ViperJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

That's just a sad story for everyone involved.

"If you treat me as an enemy, I will become one."
dR
Jo6pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Yes very sad. But I gotta ask......why would you teach a 9 year old how to shoot an Uzi? To me that's awfully young (read weak) to be handling a fully auto weapon.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I agree, teach them to shoot, both of mine were shooting 22's by the age of 5, but a full auto? Sorry I don't get that one. That little girl is my grand daughters age and she is going to need a lot of help to get through this.

But I'm with Jeff, God Bless Them Both.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
Ronald Reagan
TheOl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Prays are with them.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Allowing a 9 year old girl to fire an automatic weapon on her own was an error in judgement that came with a high price. I feel badly for all involved and hope others will learn from this incident and not repeat it.
Sgt. Rock likes this.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

From the looks of the video he was in a very bad position for helping here shoot. Hind sight always 20/20.
oppo and Silver-Bolt like this.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Can't wait for the parents to sue the gun range owner for the emotional stress that their daughter has/will go through.
Pretty fucking stupid to let a child fire a auto-loading weapon in the first place.....parents should be beaten severely!
This will surely help the anti-gun lobbyists effort to ban weapons.....fucking pisses me off!
doublestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

My guess is that weavers were signed to avoid litigation before any range sessions were done.