Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > News

News

CA deputies shoot 13 year old with replica asasult rifle

This is a discussion on CA deputies shoot 13 year old with replica asasult rifle within the News forums, part of the General Weapons category!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default CA deputies shoot 13 year old with replica assault rifle

SANTA ROSA, Calif. Northern California sheriff's deputies have shot and killed a 13-year-old boy after repeatedly telling him to drop what turned out to be a replica assault rifle, sheriff's officials and family members said.

Two Sonoma County deputies on patrol saw the boy walking with what appeared to be a high-powered weapon Tuesday afternoon in Santa Rosa, sheriff's Lt. Dennis O'Leary said.

The replica gun resembled an AK-47 with a black magazine cartridge and brown butt, according to a photograph released by the sheriff's office. Deputies would only learn after the shooting that it was a replica, according to O'Leary. It was not clear whether it could fire projectiles such as pellets or BBs.

Rodrigo Lopez identified the boy as his son, Andy, to a newspaper and said the young teen was carrying a toy gun that belonged to a friend.

After spotting the boy, the deputies called for backup and repeatedly ordered him to drop the gun, O'Leary said in a news release. It wasn't clear whether he pointed the replica assault rifle at the deputies or made any type of threatening gesture. The sheriff's office referred calls to the Santa Rosa Police Department, which scheduled a 3 p.m. news conference to address the shooting.

O'Leary said the deputies fired several rounds from their handguns immediately after issuing the orders to drop the rifle.

I see no fault with the deputies who repeatedly asked him to drop the weapon. I have a replica German StG 44 which looks real but I wouldn't be walking down the street with it...common sense dictates it.
Silver-Bolt likes this.

President Eisenhower
Jan 17, 1961

Last edited by Sgt. Rock; 10-23-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Sgt. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Shoot first, ask questions later.

Once upon a time, cops didn't shoot unless they were shot at. Now a days, if you don't drop the gun fast enough you get shot.

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 10-23-2013 at 06:52 PM.
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't most of these fake guns have orange painted muzzles? I see no reason to shoot unless he pointed it at somebody, taze or bean bag him if he won't drop it but of course still have a live gun drawn on him as well
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

The officers will not sleep well tonight!!!! Just hope it was not white on black.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
Rodrigo Lopez identified the boy as his son, Andy, to a newspaper and said the young teen was carrying a toy gun that belonged to a friend.
Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
The officers will not sleep well tonight!!!! Just hope it was not white on black.
What are the odds that the kid did not speak English??
Mockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by SilvrSRT10 View Post
Shoot first, ask questions later.

Once upon a time, cops didn't shoot unless they were shot at. Now a days, if you don't drop the gun fast enough you get shot.
I have read reports that when told to drop the weapon he turned around with the weapon pointed at the officers. Who in their right mind will wait for the shots to come at you before firing when it's already pointed at you? Action is quicker then reaction.

Take a look at the weapon he pointed and tell me you wouldn't have shot.... California boy with replica gun fatally shot by deputies | Reuters

In this country we are fine when a 24 year old dies by pointing a gun or shooting at a cop. But by gosh let the same weapon be pointed at police when the suspect is less then 18 or over 70 and everyone questions it. Why is a bullet less lethal if fired by someone under the age of 18 or over the age of 70?

Also in today's news, "14 year old shoots and kills teacher" "11 year old arrested when he brought a handgun and 400 rounds of ammo to school" "12 year old shoots teacher and self in Nevada"
Silver-Bolt likes this.
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TScottW99 View Post
I have read reports that when told to drop the weapon he turned around with the weapon pointed at the officers. Who in their right mind will wait for the shots to come at you before firing when it's already pointed at you? Action is quicker then reaction.

Take a look at the weapon he pointed and tell me you wouldn't have shot.... California boy with replica gun fatally shot by deputies | Reuters

In this country we are fine when a 24 year old dies by pointing a gun or shooting at a cop. But by gosh let the same weapon be pointed at police when the suspect is less then 18 or over 70 and everyone questions it. Why is a bullet less lethal if fired by someone under the age of 18 or over the age of 70?

Also in today's news, "14 year old shoots and kills teacher" "11 year old arrested when he brought a handgun and 400 rounds of ammo to school" "12 year old shoots teacher and self in Nevada"
IMO cops are too quick to fire now a days. Did the kid swing around with the gun at his cheek like he was ready to spray them or was it lowered and perhaps he was turning to see what the heck was going on. Had he been walking down the street taking pot shots at anyone? No, because it was a toy gun. Cops need to be able to assess the situation and use deadly force as a last option. They knew their job had risks going into it. That's why they wear bullet proof vest. Again, IMO, they should have kept behind cover and determined the kids actions.

But I'll also say, neither of us were there to see what actually happened. So they may have been justified in their shooting. But it use to be that they were not to engage unless someone was actually shooting.

My previous comment was more of a general observation. It's the environment we live in.

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 10-24-2013 at 04:10 PM.
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

When they are shooting at you it may be to late. Without being there it is hard to explain.The service life of police officer even after a clean bill shooting is about 5 years.Stress level to high to live with.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I have severe issues with this I believe that ALL LEOS should have a beanbag loaded shotgun mounted in front seat.... alot of Leos already carry a shotgun on a mount in the front seat, if they had this a 13 yr old would be alive, but we really don't know how it went down but if my suggestion was put in place alot of law enforcement having to use lethal force would be eliminated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Concealed 27
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
STF
Full Access Member

I didn't even read the article but I would never let my daughter play with one of those airsoft guns in public. They just look too real even with the orange paint on the tip. That tip can also be removed and replaced with a regular muzzle device.

I couldn't imagine being a cop these days and having to deal with those kids of situations.
STF is offline   Reply With Quote