Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > News

News

Home protection or murder???

This is a discussion on Home protection or murder??? within the News forums, part of the General Weapons category!
LITTLE FALLS, Minn. — A Minnesota homeowner who shot two unarmed teenagers in the midst of an apparent Thanksgiving Day ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default Home protection or murder???

LITTLE FALLS, Minn. — A Minnesota homeowner who shot two unarmed teenagers in the midst of an apparent Thanksgiving Day break-in told authorities he feared they had a weapon, but acknowledged firing "more shots than I needed to" and appeared to take pride in "a good clean finishing shot" for one teen, according to investigators.

Byron David Smith, 64, was charged Monday with two counts of second-degree murder in a criminal complaint that was chilling for the clinical way investigators said he described the shootings.

Smith told investigators he shot 18-year-old Haile Kifer several times as she descended a stairway into his basement, and his Mini 14 rifle jammed as he tried to shoot her again after she had tumbled down the steps.

Though Kifer was "already hurting," she let out a short laugh, Smith told investigators. He then pulled out his .22-caliber revolver and shot her several times in the chest, according to the complaint.

"If you're trying to shoot somebody and they laugh at you, you go again," Smith told investigators, according to a criminal complaint filed Monday.

Smith was also charged in the death of Kifer's cousin, 17-year-old Nicholas Brady.

President Eisenhower
Jan 17, 1961

Last edited by Sgt. Rock; 11-26-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Sgt. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Oooo, this doesn't sound good. Having not been there it's tough to say but if the girl was down and no longer a threat, you don't pull another weapon and finish her off. I think this fella went a bit too far.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Tough call... But I agree with the statement "If you're trying to shoot somebody and they laugh at you, you go again"
Humvee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

hell, if you are in my house then i will do anything i can to eliminate you. i did not invite you in so your intentions are not good, and i will treat you as a hostile.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I think about this too if someone broke into my house and I shot the intruder once..twice..maybe three times..would I empty my entire clip into the person just because I was pissed off or wanted to be sure the dirtbag isn't going to get up anymore.

President Eisenhower
Jan 17, 1961

Sgt. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

You always hear, "make sure if you shoot, they die"

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD
Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

First one, then the other.
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Sounds like his biggest issue was how he described the shootings. I was in fear for my life and I fired to protect myself would have been a far smarter answer. However what he describes is murder.
Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

You should never be happy about haveing to shoot someone.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Just goes to show that if you are prepared to dispatch an intruder, you need to prepare how you will explain afterwards. Depending on how you act when the authorities show up, depends on whether it seems you were just protecting your family or you just committed murder in their eyes.

Some say to not say anything and tell the authorities you will fully comply with their investigation after you contact your lawyer. Some say to tell them some basic things then notify your legal counsel. Remember anything you say can and will be used against you. Be prepared for the family of the scumbag to come after you in court, some small comment you made like "the dirtbag had it coming" could sway a jury in a completely different direction.

This becomes an even more key thing outside of your home if you ever have to protect yourself while your carrying. You'll have to fight even harder to prove they intended you harm when it's not at your residence uninvited, but rather at a gas station or grocery store etc.
Maxx2893 is offline   Reply With Quote