Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > News

News

PFC Manning sentenced to 35 years

This is a discussion on PFC Manning sentenced to 35 years within the News forums, part of the General Weapons category!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default PFC Manning sentenced to 35 years

FORT MEADE, Md. — Army Pfc. Bradley Manning was sentenced Wednesday to 35 years in prison for giving hundreds of thousands of secret military and diplomatic documents to WikiLeaks in one of the nation's biggest leak cases since the Pentagon Papers more than a generation ago.

In a brief hearing, military judge Col. Denise Lind didn't offer any explanation for the sentence she gave Manning, 25. The former intelligence analyst was found guilty last month of 20 crimes, including six violations of the Espionage Act, as part of the Obama administration's unprecedented crackdown on media leaks.

But the judge acquitted him of the most serious charge, aiding the enemy, an offense that could have meant life in prison without parole.

Manning could have gotten 90 years behind bars. Prosecutors asked for at least 60 years as a warning to other soldiers, while Manning's lawyer suggested he get no more than 25, because some of the documents he leaked will be declassified by then.

My opinion is he committed treason in time of war and should of been strung up. I know that might sound harsh but aiding the enemy by releasing hundreds of thousand of pages of highly classified material is very serious in my book. Even if it caused the death of one of our soldiers, would be even one too many in my book. This crap about his confusion about being transgender caused him to do this..wtf??. This little prick got off too easy in my book. Instead he should be given a last meal..tonight and then meet the gallows.

ygbsm35 and BrothersInArms like this.

President Eisenhower
Jan 17, 1961

Sgt. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Agreed that he got off to lightly. He knew full on what would happen should he leak intel documents. You don't leak 700,000 pages of intel and call yourself a whistleblower, then claim after the fact you didn't realize what you were doing. If there were issues he should have followed proper chain of command.
gunbunny76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Who would give a Pfc that much intel?
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

A little insight into his new home for the next 35 years.

Manning to serve sentence at famous Leavenworth | General Headlines | Comcast

President Eisenhower
Jan 17, 1961

Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Who would give a Pfc that much intel?
Check out this link...looks like fault also lies from his chain-of-command.

Manning lawyers say his top secret clearance should have been revoked - U.S. News

President Eisenhower
Jan 17, 1961

Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Red line no more,he will be out in 10 years I bet.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Red line no more,he will be out in 10 years I bet.
Yeah as a woman..check out the latest news and guess who's going to pay for his/her treatments. This is just too freakin' weird.

FORT MEADE, Md. — Bradley Manning wants to live as a woman named Chelsea and begin hormone treatment as soon as possible, the soldier said a day after being sentenced to 35 years in prison for sending government secrets to WikiLeaks.

Manning announced the decision Thursday in a statement provided to NBC's "Today" show, asking supporters to refer to him by his new name and the feminine pronoun. The statement was signed "Chelsea E. Manning."

"As I transition into this next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me. I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible," the statement read.

President Eisenhower
Jan 17, 1961

Old 08-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Put him on obama's staff. pun
Old 08-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I don't even know what to say................

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
Ronald Reagan
TheOl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TheOl55 View Post
I don't even know what to say................
NO! You're going to jail. As a man. No special treatment. Deal with it.

If and when you get out, then you can address your urges with your own money.
hotrodpc and Sgt. Rock like this.