Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > News

News

st pete police shoot and kill homeless man

This is a discussion on st pete police shoot and kill homeless man within the News forums, part of the General Weapons category!
Yet another police shooting, a homeless man in downtown St. Petersburg was chasing after people with a firemans type axe. ...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default st pete police shoot and kill homeless man

Yet another police shooting, a homeless man in downtown St. Petersburg was chasing after people with a firemans type axe. As police arrived an officer asked the man to drop the axe and he would not and came toward the Leo he unleashed 5 rounds into him. Know I now that the man charged at him but IMO they could have tased him, or used a shotgun with non deadly rds. I know that the non deadly may not have been available but cops around the Tampa bay area are awful trigger happy. I understand why thought, I live here.... just seems that no longer do they protect and serve, but shoot and arrest at there own discretion........idk I'm just sick of hearing about people losing there lives because cops don't use their brain instead of their guns....
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

In this particular case, good shoot. The fool came at him with an axe. Less lethal tools are great for some things but not some psycho trying to murder you with an axe. There is plenty to complain about regarding law enforcement but this isn't it.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I know the guy was in the wrong I'm not defending him just seems to me it could have been handled without killing him, that's all. I know that being a Leo is the hardest job out there, no one likes them and they have to make split second decisions that could be right or could be wrong.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

It is all about distance,if he was inside 15 yards he needed to die. Tasers don't always work on all people.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

That's what I was thinking about to was distance... awesome point, if he was that close he needed to be shot but there are so many things that factored in the officers decision.....
Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Average time an office stays on the job after a shooting is 5 years,even a clean bill. No body wants to kill a fellow human unless they are psyho or in fear for their life.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I know that's why they get put on paid leave while they investigate the shooting. I hope i never have to use my weapons to harm anyone, but one things for sure.... if I draw my weapon its getting used, I will not use it as a tool to gain leverage. If you draw your weapon and don't immediately pull the trigger you are gonna start thinking about it and you will probably lose your life if you are hesitant... we as responsable gun owners don't wanna to take a persons life but if its to protect my family or myself I will use the force necessary to stop that from happening, deadly force will be used only if i feel my life or family's life is threatened....good points that u made kwo.....

Concealed 27
Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Administrator

Originally Posted by Concealed 27 View Post
I know that's why they get put on paid leave while they investigate the shooting. I hope i never have to use my weapons to harm anyone, but one things for sure.... if I draw my weapon its getting used, I will not use it as a tool to gain leverage. If you draw your weapon and don't immediately pull the trigger you are gonna start thinking about it and you will probably lose your life if you are hesitant... we as responsable gun owners don't wanna to take a persons life but if its to protect my family or myself I will use the force necessary to stop that from happening, deadly force will be used only if i feel my life or family's life is threatened....good points that u made kwo.....

Concealed 27
and you just answered post #1
ViperJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Any way you look at it 2 lives have been change forever.
Concealed 27 likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

That is for sure.....imagine the feeling of taking someones life there are so many people affected on both sides....... very sad
Thomas Jefferson