Go Back   Weapons Forum > Education & Training > State Laws

State Laws

Maine allows gun owners to carry concealed weapons without permit

This is a discussion on Maine allows gun owners to carry concealed weapons without permit within the State Laws forums, part of the Education & Training category!
Maine will allow gun owners to carry concealed weapons without a permit, a practice called "constitutional carry" by Second Amendment ...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default Maine allows gun owners to carry concealed weapons without permit

Maine will allow gun owners to carry concealed weapons without a permit, a practice called "constitutional carry" by Second Amendment advocates, under a bill signed into law on Wednesday by Republican Governor Paul LePage.

The measure will make Maine the fifth state to pass a law legalizing the carrying of a handgun, either openly or concealed, without the requirement of a government permit.

Maine joins Alaska, Arizona, Wyoming and Kansas in voting to allow the practice, according to National Rifle Association spokesman Lars Dalseide. Vermont has never required a permit. Arkansas and Montana also allow more limited forms of constitutional carry.

More than a dozen other states have considered similar legislation.

Maine allows gun owners to carry concealed weapons without permit | Reuters
Old 07-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

As much as I applaud this, I still have a concern about idiots carrying guns. Never underestimate the stupidity and carelessness of an idiot. This is why we have so many safety devices in our lives. Safety sensors on garage door openers, switches on mowers so that you can't get off of or walk away from them without it shutting off etc. Our government is interfering with natural selection. This is one reason our country is heading the way it is. We protect our idiots.

Disclaimer: The above post is satirical in nature as far as you know.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

If your going to be stupid you have to be tough. We allow 16 year olds to drive if they pass the test. Idiots come in all sizes, colors ,sexes and political party and most of them drive!
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Idiots come in all sizes, colors ,sexes and political party and most of them drive!
And they reproduce.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
If your going to be stupid you have to be tough. We allow 16 year olds to drive if they pass the test. Idiots come in all sizes, colors ,sexes and political party and most of them drive!
See.....another example of safety devices. Seat belts, air bags and crumple zones. But I see your point.

How did we make it to where we are? When I was growing up we didn't have seat belts or air bags. Just a hard metal dash to stop our forward momentum. And nobody wore a helmet when bicycling. Lawn mowers once started ran until you pushed down on the little metal thingy grounding the plug out. We had lawn darts. Remember those? It's a wonder we're not extinct as a species.
ViperJeff, TheOl55, #860 and 1 others like this.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

What I hate the most is anti kickback device on my chain saw. I'm not opposed to safety rules and I don't jump out of perfectly good airplanes. OSHA has gone way over board.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Just remember, every time they think they have idiot proofed a product, they build a better idiot.

SilvrSRT10, priell3 and Jo6pak like this.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didnít pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
Ronald Reagan
TheOl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Administrator

If I remember right, when Arizona was considering the practice, many people thought that the idiots would come out of the wood work and there would be blood in the streets. What they found out was that once people could carry they actually went out and sought training so that they could be more effective with that fire arm. Granted there will be morons out there with guns, but more than that there will be many out there that will seek further training and I think that will be the better aspect to look at in the end. The more people that actually look for the training and get truly effective and good training will come to respect that weapon even more for what it can offer as far as protection and as use as a tool and not a weapon of murder.
SilvrSRT10, priell3 and kwo51 like this.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Full Access Member

We could have dueling stations . I like open carry because if the gun is seen by some moron even though concealed it may not cause concern.I would carry a larger gun always instead of a mouse in my pocket. Shorts and tee shirt and 1911.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Arckadian View Post
What they found out was that once people could carry they actually went out and sought training so that they could be more effective with that fire arm.......
That's Arizona. I live in North Carolina. The capitol of "Here, hold my beer, hey y'all.....watch this." Don't get me wrong, I want the government as much out of my life as I can get them. I'm all for a national concealed carry. A Constitutional carry. There was just something a little reassuring that those who carry concealed at least went through a proficiency class. Don't worry, if/when it happens, I'll get over it.