Go Back   Weapons Forum > Education & Training > Defense Training

Defense Training

Do you carry with one in the pipe?

This is a discussion on Do you carry with one in the pipe? within the Defense Training forums, part of the Education & Training category!
Originally Posted by hotrodpc But this does make sense if carrying in a waist band. Certainly wouldn't want to blow ...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #21 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hotrodpc View Post

But this does make sense if carrying in a waist band. Certainly wouldn't want to blow your dick off, and if it snags and you're pushing and pulling on it to get it freed from your waist band there is the slight possibility of unintended fire.
If you carry appendix style then it really needs to be in a holster. I know some guys just stick it in under their belt and call it good to go. Not me. I want it retained and protected. Don't want it going anywhere. The gun and holster go inside my waistband and clip to my belt. That way it won't shift and the trigger is protected (it can't get caught on anything). Gives Mr. Johnson some peace of mind.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by ViperJeff View Post
I also carry in condition 2. The reason may seem wrong, however, I never seem to be in a position to need to be in condition 1.

At home, my .45 MAG is always in condition 1
I hope you never have to bet your life on that assumption.

"If you treat me as an enemy, I will become one."
dR
Jo6pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

Administrator

Originally Posted by Jo6pak View Post
I hope you never have to bet your life on that assumption.
98% of my time is either at home or 1 door down from the Sheriff's Office, so yea, I hope your right too (I work in a gun Free Zone)
ViperJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
Full Access Member

How many practice drawing and fighting with weak hand. I need a condition 1 /1911 on both sides of my body. One can draw and rack slide all in one motion,it's all in the training.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
How many practice drawing and fighting with weak hand. I need a condition 1 /1911 on both sides of my body. One can draw and rack slide all in one motion,it's all in the training.
I'm ambo, so I don't count. But, you're right. Training and practice is key. As I've told my daughter, cops normally test monthly and if they don't get a 85-90% accuracy, (departments vary), then have to retest and practice etc. So if they're that good, then why do cops only hit their target 20% of the time when they fire a round out in the field??? Because real life situations and adrenalin make a huge difference, so it's more important to practice your tactical manuevers than try to hit the X on a paper target. If you've got a good group and within the size of a basketball then consider it good if you're practicing tactical use. But that's just me.

I normally load 4 rounds in 5 mags. Practice 2 double taps, drop and swap mags, double tap x2, drop and swap mags and so on till all 5 mags are empty. And yes, I do even swap hands back and forth for each mag.

I normally can get all the 1st rounds of the double tap in a group the size of a softball, and the 2nd round is usually 4-5 inches off of that, either higher or lower but above or below the first one. So either I'm not getting the barrel tip back on target quick enough, or I'm overcompensating and coming in to low. It's actually harder than what you think, but I have gotten much better over the years. I used to be about 10-12 inches off with the 2nd round of the double tap.
oppo likes this.
hotrodpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #26 (permalink)

Administrator

I practice with both hands.... I wish I was better
oppo and hotrodpc like this.
ViperJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #27 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I would but thanks to a mistake with a tablesaw, shooting weak handed isn't an option. I do, however, practice drawing and firing from concealment. One way I practice is to stand normally, not in a ready position, and say go at some random time. When they say go, they hit the timer and then again after I put the first shot on target. Most days, the timer shows right about a second.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #28 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by hotrodpc View Post
I'm ambo, so I don't count. But, you're right. Training and practice is key. As I've told my daughter, cops normally test monthly and if they don't get a 85-90% accuracy, (departments vary), then have to retest and practice etc. So if they're that good, then why do cops only hit their target 20% of the time when they fire a round out in the field??? Because real life situations and adrenalin make a huge difference, so it's more important to practice your tactical manuevers than try to hit the X on a paper target. If you've got a good group and within the size of a basketball then consider it good if you're practicing tactical use. But that's just me.

I normally load 4 rounds in 5 mags. Practice 2 double taps, drop and swap mags, double tap x2, drop and swap mags and so on till all 5 mags are empty. And yes, I do even swap hands back and forth for each mag.

I normally can get all the 1st rounds of the double tap in a group the size of a softball, and the 2nd round is usually 4-5 inches off of that, either higher or lower but above or below the first one. So either I'm not getting the barrel tip back on target quick enough, or I'm overcompensating and coming in to low. It's actually harder than what you think, but I have gotten much better over the years. I used to be about 10-12 inches off with the 2nd round of the double tap.
Absolutely, the first time I tried firing rapidly, the results were less than stellar. I gotten much better and faster with practice. sometimes, I fire double taps. Sometimes, I empty all 15 rounds. Usually, I fire 5 shots at a time. This is a skill that I think everyone should practice because a real threat won't just stand there while you take your time with each shot and it may take quite a few of them.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #29 (permalink)
Full Access Member

That has been a question for some time.Shoot to kill/ shoot to disable /shoot to stop the assault. Take out a hip with a 45 acp sounds good ,may not stop the fight just the advance. 2 rounds and holster and acesss ,he's still coming . Shoot perp to the ground then render first aid.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #30 (permalink)

Super Moderator

That has been a question for some time.Shoot to kill/ shoot to disable /shoot to stop the assault.
That's a question that has to be asked??? I thought there was only one way. I thought you shoot to kill and that does disable the perp and stop the assault, so I'll take, All of the Above as my answer.
hotrodpc is offline   Reply With Quote