Go Back   Weapons Forum > Education & Training > Defense Training

Defense Training

Gunrange accident leads to lawsuit

This is a discussion on Gunrange accident leads to lawsuit within the Defense Training forums, part of the Education & Training category!
BELLEVUE, Wash. - A man shot in both arms during an accidental shooting at a Bellevue gun range has sued ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arckadian

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default Gunrange accident leads to lawsuit

BELLEVUE, Wash. - A man shot in both arms during an accidental shooting at a Bellevue gun range has sued the range and the man who shot him, claiming both failed to take appropriate care.

In a lawsuit filed July 11 against Wade’s Eastside Guns, attorneys for the man contend he was hit in the arms after a bullet fired by another Wade’s customer blew through a divider separating two shooting booths.

According to the lawsuit, the offending customer was firing a Smith & Wesson pistol that was “rather new” to him in a neighboring lane at Wade’s range. As the man raised his arms to shoot, the other customer accidentally fired through the foam lane divider.

The 9 mm bullet struck the man in the right arm, powered through it, then tore through his left arm as well, leaving him seriously injured, according to the lawsuit.

Writing the court, attorneys for the injured man contend Wade’s failed to protect its customer.

“Wade’s did not screen gun range customers for basic knowledge of safe gun operation,” attorneys Susannah Carr and Ian Birk told the court. “No safety rules were posted in the shooting lanes.”

The attorneys went on to fault Wade’s for failing to install durable partitions between the shooting booths.

Wade’s did not return requests for comment Monday.

A newbie with a weapon he was not familiar with..sounds like a bad idea.

President Eisenhower
Jan 17, 1961

Last edited by Sgt. Rock; 07-17-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Sgt. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

No excuse for an ND like that. The range should have done more to protect themselves but the accident was 100% the shooter's fault.

As for the dividers, if they aren't bullet resistent, I would rather not have them so that I can spot the unsafe behavior, hopefully, before something happens.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Thanks for sharing sarge, good read.....
Concealed 27
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I hate terms like "accidental shooting," "accidental discharge" et al.

I'm with oppo on this one. Why even have dividers if they are just foam??

"If you treat me as an enemy, I will become one."
dR
Jo6pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Administrator

Agreed... foam dividers is almost like using a rubber after the fact.... does not do a lot of good once the deed is completed
Concealed 27 likes this.