Go Back   Weapons Forum > Education & Training > Defense Training

Defense Training

I am so stoked to go to this course

This is a discussion on I am so stoked to go to this course within the Defense Training forums, part of the Education & Training category!
Agreed....

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Agreed.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Super Moderator

What was that magic number. 21 ft. comes to mind. If said attacker is within 21 ft. They can get to you faster than you can draw. It becomes time for close quarters combat. I hope I never find myself in that situation. I know that my size has been a deterrent in the past and they've moved on to easier targets. But sometimes "Crazy" doesn't take that into consideration.

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 02-14-2018 at 06:13 PM.
SilvrSRT10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Same here .. I am ,.. well used to be, a 235 lbs weight lifter and dabbled a bit in martial arts.., I am still 235 lbs but not just from lifting if you get my drift..

But I still have the swagger and some of the muscles are left... so I dont get bothered..

But there's always a first time.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I am still working on it, went from about 225 lbs down to 175 lbs, i walk 2 to 4 miles every day, and do resistance training 3 to 4 times a week. For an old guy i'm starting to firm up, it's kinda hard to put on muscle at this age, but i am getting there, definition is starting to show, and am happy with my gains. I was so out of shape a year ago, if i got down on the floor, i had to have something to pull myself up on to get up. Use it or lose it my friends.
Bluez likes this.

Greed & corruption is the norm.
#860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I am up and down on and off my knees working on garage doors (stupid safety sensors). My knees are wearing out. I may need surgery someday but I hope that day is still a ways off. I'm carrying 300lbs. but I'm 6'9" so my size is also working against me. I'm in pretty decent shape other than stuff wearing out. I also need something to grab ahold of to assist myself up. I could probably do it unassisted. But I prefer using my upper body to help my lower body.

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 02-14-2018 at 06:43 PM.
SilvrSRT10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by SilvrSRT10 View Post
I am up and down on and off my knees working on garage doors (stupid safety sensors). My knees are wearing out. I may need surgery someday but I hope that day is still a ways off. I'm carrying 300lbs. but I'm 6'9" so my size is also working against me. I'm in pretty decent shape other than stuff wearing out. I also need something to grab ahold of to assist myself up. I could probably do it unassisted. But I prefer using my upper body to help my lower body.
I did steel stud framing, and drywall for 40+ yrs, my joints are shot, and i'm not talking about the one's you smoke.

Greed & corruption is the norm.
#860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Tommorow am going to meet another graduate of the course. We will go running first together and then ( after a suitable break) review the material.

We meant to do this last year but never got around to it..
Old 02-17-2018, 05:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by #860 View Post
I did steel stud framing, and drywall for 40+ yrs, my joints are shot, and i'm not talking about the one's you smoke.
Good Ole commercial drywall. When I lived in So Cali doing it, I was a member of 1506 in LA then later transfered to Orange County 2361.
#860 likes this.
hotrodpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

Super Moderator

For us big guys, me being 6'2 260 for most of life, now up in age closer to 280 and needing to lose some, even at age 52, I still move around quite aggressive. I've always taken my size for granted and being a fast walker etc, I never realized people just got out of my way when they seen me coming. Hell, I just thought they were being considerate. My wife, now ex being 5'3 105 said she always liked going places with me because people just moved out of the way for us, that when she's alone they just stood there like idiots and she's have to walk around everyone. I couldn't figure out why that was. She said my size and actions are intimidating. I then thought well shit, I'm not trying to be a bully and she informed me that's just how it is.
With that being said, if we bigger types have something the thugs want, we're the ones that are going to get shot and we make big targets too.
Bluez likes this.
hotrodpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Super Moderator

One Christmas eve a friend called and needed me to take him to the store (of all days). He was on some medication and he didn't feel comfortable driving. So off I go and picked him up and took him to probably the most crowded store he could find. He's lolly gagging around and it's getting late. I needed to call my wife (this was before mobile phones) and I couldn't get through on the phone at the front of the store.

He's finally picked out everything he needed and checked out. This store had a rear entrance which is where I was parked. My temper was short and I wanted out of there. I took off for the rear entrance apparently with a "don't screw with me look" on my face. As I was briskly walking down isles toward the rear of the store people were literally diving out of my way. My friend was laughing uncontrollably at the expressions and actions of the people looking for a safe place to get.
Bluez likes this.