Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > Black Powder

Black Powder

Black powder: percussion and flintlock

This is a discussion on Black powder: percussion and flintlock within the Black Powder forums, part of the General Weapons category!
I have fired black powder many times and at one time owned a black powder Thompson 50 cal Pennsylvania Renegade ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Black powder: percussion and flintlock

I have fired black powder many times and at one time owned a black powder Thompson 50 cal Pennsylvania Renegade percussion cap rifle. The Renegade is 36 inch barrel compared to the shorter 30 inch barrel of most other period percussion cap rifles. The other black powder rifle I have shot was a custom Glenn Jones Kentucky Poor Boy 70 cal flint lock. The only thing you have to watch out for is pan flash. You can singe hair off.

Loading black powder guns is a simple procedure: powder load is poured down the barrel, a piece of cloth called a patch is placed at the end of the barrel. The bullet is a lead ball that is placed over the patch. The ball starter is used to push the ball part of the way in so the ram rod can handle the rest of the way down without breaking.

Flintlock powder- 4f for the priming pan and a coarser 2f for the barrel (also used with percussion cap rifles). Never store powder in plastic, as static electricity can ignite your powder.
gunbunny76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I have several "Traditional" Black Powder rifles, two percussion and a flintlock too.
All three in 50 cal and I like the flint lock the best. If a person has any bad shooting habits, that flint lock will let You know about it, teaches a person to press the trigger and HOLD, HOLD, HOLD, KERBOOOM.
I have been gathering powder and lead, lately mostly lead.
I have a friend that works in the telephone line repair business, He recently moved to this town and I met Him through having some problems with My phone. He had been replacing a bunch of the old lead shielded cables, one day He stops in and asks if I would be interested in some lead, I have about 600 lbs. under the work bench but, Why yeah, sure, I`ll gather as much lead as I can.
It seems that I now have rounded up, I`m guessing at this number, about 2000 lbs. wooohooo.
Guess I better get to casting some bullits and balls huh.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

So simple even a mountain man can do it. Killed my first deer with one. Had to wait for the smoke to clear.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I`ve killed a bunch of paper with Mine, and a 100 yard gong too.
Next I`ll be going after Prairie Dogs, if I ever get some free time, I`m still wondering what this retirement thing is though.