Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > Hunting



Hunting

What would be a good deer hunting rifle?


This is a discussion on What would be a good deer hunting rifle? within the Hunting forums, part of the General Weapons category!
I am not much of a hunter myself, but if I was going to go hunting one of these days ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Arckadian's Avatar
Administrator

 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: OOOOOtah
Age: 39
Posts: 1,386
Default What would be a good deer hunting rifle?

I am not much of a hunter myself, but if I was going to go hunting one of these days what kind of rifle would you guys suggest I pick up?
__________________
Springfield 1911A1 Full Size .45
Springfield XDS .45
Arckadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
SilvrSRT10's Avatar
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,241
Default

Originally Posted by Arckadian View Post
I am not much of a hunter myself, but if I was going to go hunting one of these days what kind of rifle would you guys suggest I pick up?
Hate to sound repetitive but a shotgun could fill the bill (depending on distance you want to hunt from). With the variety of ammo you can put in the thing you can hunt birds all the way up to bear. And they don't call it Buckshot for nothin'.

I've heard of some using the .223 to hunt deer or 7mm. Possibly 7.62x39 would do the job too.
__________________
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
VIPR PWR HK's Avatar
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 410
Default

Originally Posted by SilvSRT10 View Post
Hate to sound repetitive but a shotgun could fill the bill (depending on distance you want to hunt from). With the variety of ammo you can put in the thing you can hunt birds all the way up to bear. And they don't call it Buckshot for nothin'.

I've heard of some using the .223 to hunt deer or 7mm. Possibly 7.62x39 would do the job too.
I will agree with this choice for all around hunting use ... 1st You have to decided what type of game you will be hunting and use the rifle that best suits the need ...
__________________
9,12,22,25,32,45,223......> MORE FOR THE FUTURE !
VIPR PWR HK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
VIPR PWR HK's Avatar
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 410
Default

My old Boss in TX used a SOCOM Berreta 9mm pistol with a Can to hunt deer there .. He got 2 deer and we had Venison Jerky and burger for a year ... OH, I did get food poisoning eating one of the last steaks . That really sucked .
__________________
9,12,22,25,32,45,223......> MORE FOR THE FUTURE !
VIPR PWR HK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
SilvrSRT10's Avatar
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,241
Default

Originally Posted by VIPR PWR HK View Post
My old Boss in TX used a SOCOM Berreta 9mm pistol with a Can to hunt deer there .. He got 2 deer and we had Venison Jerky and burger for a year ... OH, I did get food poisoning eating one of the last steaks . That really sucked .
It's all about shot placement. You need to go in just above the shoulder to catch the heart/lung area. Now let me clarify, I'm not a hunter so this is not from experience. I have been doing some reading from different sources on best shot placement and this is what actual hunters are saying. So in theory, if you don't hit a rib, you could kill a deer with a .22. This info was gathered from both rifle and bow hunting.

Nothing like a good case of food poisoning to clean things out. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.
__________________
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
VIPR PWR HK's Avatar
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 410
Default

Originally Posted by SilvSRT10 View Post
It's all about shot placement. You need to go in just above the shoulder to catch the heart/lung area. Now let me clarify, I'm not a hunter so this is not from experience. I have been doing some reading from different sources on best shot placement and this is what actual hunters are saying. So in theory, if you don't hit a rib, you could kill a deer with a .22. This info was gathered from both rifle and bow hunting.

Nothing like a good case of food poisoning to clean things out. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.
You know I read that also , It was an interesting read ... Maybe one day I will buy my first gun and go on my first hunting trip .... A Bazooka to hunt elephant in Africa might be a good first challenge ,, What do you think
__________________
9,12,22,25,32,45,223......> MORE FOR THE FUTURE !
VIPR PWR HK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
SilvrSRT10's Avatar
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,241
Default

Originally Posted by VIPR PWR HK View Post
You know I read that also , It was an interesting read ... Maybe one day I will buy my first gun and go on my first hunting trip .... A Bazooka to hunt elephant in Africa might be a good first challenge ,, What do you think
You do start out with lofty goals. Maybe try something a little closer to home and see how you like it first. Just sayin'.

And I don't mean the elephant at your local zoo.
__________________
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
SilvrSRT10's Avatar
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,241
Default

Here's what I was talking about Shot Placement. If you aim right at the top of the leg, you can see that the shoulder bone goes forward and then back leaving an opening to the heart/lung area. There are ribs in there somewhere also. So that's why using a small caliber is a gamble. Your goal is to drop the animal as quickly as possible. You don't want it running around injured.

__________________
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
VIPR PWR HK's Avatar
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 410
Default

Originally Posted by SilvSRT10 View Post
You do start out with lofty goals. Maybe try something a little closer to home and see how you like it first. Just sayin'.

And I don't mean the elephant at your local zoo.
OK , I guess your right .. A arm-a-dillo with a wrist rocket or pellet gun might be a tough challenge.... They are armored like a tank
__________________
9,12,22,25,32,45,223......> MORE FOR THE FUTURE !
VIPR PWR HK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Arckadian's Avatar
Administrator

 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: OOOOOtah
Age: 39
Posts: 1,386
Default

Thanks fer the info gents I will look into what would be best for this area. I think there are some guys where I work that go hunting I just have to remember who they are :P
__________________
Springfield 1911A1 Full Size .45
Springfield XDS .45
Arckadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On