Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > Range

Range

Did some training yesterday

This is a discussion on Did some training yesterday within the Range forums, part of the General Weapons category!
So yesterday I stopped by a buddies place to shoot. I had three training objectives: - Catch up on some ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Bluez
  • 2 Post By #860

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default Did some training yesterday

So yesterday I stopped by a buddies place to shoot.

I had three training objectives:

- Catch up on some handgun shooting w/ my fullsize handgun as I had done any in 6 weeks (very unusual for me)
- Practice and deepening my conceal carry draw via live fire conceal draw exercises.
- Test one of my AR15s, a cacherifle, I hadnt shot in a long time. More specifically I wanted to test if on this particular rifle the addition of a RedX firing pin was a sufficent modification by itself to allow the shooting of the too-hard-primer batch of Summer 2017 of Golden Tiger 56 gr (no typo) FMJBT Ammo. I think I wrote about this elsewhere on here. In any event now that I switched to these firing pins
AR15 ENHANCED FIRING PIN FOR 7.62x39 AND 5.45x39
I no longer had to back up the firing pin with a XP Wolff Hammer spring. But its important for me to regularize exercise and test all my cache rifles and in this case I additionally wanted to check if the rifle in this configuration was 100% with that ammo.

Outcome:

- I met all my training objectives
- The AR did not need rezero which was impressive for having being dormant for 1.5 years (AimPoint PRO) in cache. It did need a new battery though which I installed the day prior.
- As expected the AR did function 100% in this combination of Ammo and configuration.

The Good:

- I was pleasantly surprised how much I had still retained from my 4 hr Conceal Carry Clinic 6 weeks ago. My very first conceal carry draw and then 2 rounds on target were satisfyingly very quick and surprised myself (as well as my 2 buddies who were there and who exclaimed on this)
- My full size handgun skill was still good also.

The Bad:

- I did not fire as much as I would have liked. My Buddy brought his wife with him and that of course needed a lot of extra instruction time.
My buddy at whose property this was also needed a lot of help with his firing stance and handgun grip.. So I morphed from trainee into Instructor mode to help him and his wife.
I didnt mind this.. but it did lower my round count for the day by quite a bit.In the end I think I only shot a maximum of maybe 150 rds 9mm and 150 rds .223
SilvrSRT10 and oppo like this.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Always good to help others, well done.
oppo and Bluez like this.

Greed & corruption is the norm.
#860 is offline   Reply With Quote