Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion > Long Guns > Auto/Semi Automatic

Auto/Semi Automatic

Barrett M82A1 416

This is a discussion on Barrett M82A1 416 within the Auto/Semi Automatic forums, part of the Long Guns category!
I've had my eye on the M82 & being a list guys have had one on the list since i ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Barrett M82A1 416

I've had my eye on the M82 & being a list guys have had one on the list since i started collecting. Well i'm down to the final 3 & i'm really going back and forth on this one.

1. The only 1000 yard range is 1hr away

2. 10K would buy alot of guns

3. $6 a round is something i'm not really excited about letting other folks have a go with.

4. 57" long and both safes are 57 1/2" inside. Or do you break down every time?

List = i'm 37 and will own 37 guns so going forward 1 every year
Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

It is a LOT of money.
There are cheaper options that will be more accurate at 1000 yards.
It is not practical.

But...

An hour isn't that far.
It certainly has the wow factor.
If you want it and can afford it, why the heck not?
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

It would be fun for awhile but I wouldn't want to feed it long term. I am starting to look at some .338 Lapua options for reaching out long distance.
Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

There's nowhere close to where i live where i'd ever really stretch the gun out. Maybe the 338 would be better option? The MRad pretty cool and the 338 lapua is a great round. 1/2 the price of M82
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Duncnstac View Post
There's nowhere close to where i live where i'd ever really stretch the gun out. Maybe the 338 would be better option? The MRad pretty cool and the 338 lapua is a great round. 1/2 the price of M82
My local range is only good to 600 yards. As much as I would enjoy learning to shooting at 1000+ it's just not realistic. The .338 is very accurate beyond 1000 yards. I just can't justify the cost of the rifle & ammo to go bigger. I have fired many .50BMG rounds through an M107 and enjoyed the long range capability. If I had a range where I could stretch the legs of a .416 or .50 I would own one. I don't so a .338 makes the most sense to me.

Buy a .338 with top shelf glass will be far cheaper to own and feed. Once your skill level exceeds the .338 take another look and buying bigger.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I went with the Barrett MRAD today. Got a Barrett but in round more usefull for my purposes. 100 to 1500 yards all day. Also got Scar 17 & Beretta 92 to save on dros! HA HA HA Merry Christmas to me
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Duncnstac View Post
I went with the Barrett MRAD today. Got a Barrett but in round more usefull for my purposes. 100 to 1500 yards all day. Also got Scar 17 & Beretta 92 to save on dros! HA HA HA Merry Christmas to me
Nice! Post up some pics.