Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion > Long Guns > Auto/Semi Automatic

Auto/Semi Automatic

Semi-automatic rifles, automatic assault rifles - question

This is a discussion on Semi-automatic rifles, automatic assault rifles - question within the Auto/Semi Automatic forums, part of the Long Guns category!
Don't take this question the wrong way or misinterpret it for something with political undertones...remember where we are. I'm just ...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Administrator

Default Semi-automatic rifles, automatic assault rifles - question

Don't take this question the wrong way or misinterpret it for something with political undertones...remember where we are. I'm just looking for some constructive conversation on the matter that doesn't lead to a political forum battle. I would actually like to hear from those who own these weapons so the casual observer can form their own opinion.

My question is this: Why does a typical, law abiding citizen need a semi/auto assault rifle? I understand that some would say it's a right to keep and bear arms, regardless of their capacity and power.

But the question is, why does the average person need (not want) one?

The handgun in your bed stand or on your person to protect you and your family from "bad guys"...I get that.

The shot gun or bolt action hunting rifle for recreational game hunting...I get that.

But what would the legitimate use for a semi/auto weapon be other than playing with it at the range? Is it just a toy then? Like the 1500hp Corvette in the garage, sure nobody needs it...I can understand why it's fun to own, but it's not practical for anything other than taking to the track and showing off to buddies, is it?

You're not going to hunt with it, unless you're hunting zombies. You're not going to carry it around on your hip for personal protection. Most responsible gun owners keep their high powered weapons locked in a gun cabinet, right?(especially if they have children/family...the one they're protecting)

What would be the tactical advantage of locating, unlocking, loading and preparing to shoot a "bad guy", should one enter your home, with a semi/auto weapon versus the hand gun that's at arm's reach?

Again, I'm not looking for the political answer, I want to hear from the owners of these weapons and compelling arguments as to why these weapons should or shouldn't be in the hands of Americans, from a practical, not political standpoint.
BIRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I built mine for recreational use and hoping to get into hog hunting. I'd much rather have a semi auto rifle than a bolt action if I happened to walk up on 20 hogs. There's also so many ways to mod an AR you can build it to fit almost any need for hunting or range use. Wanna hunt different game make some changes for less than buying a whole new bolt gun. Same things goes for the range.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Not to sound smart but, no where in the bill of rights does it say Need. A lot of people sure are throwing that word around as of late.

I have 1 that I built that I shoot at the range. It reminds me of the M16 A-1 I used in the military except it is not full auto.

I'm in the process of building Another that will be a hunting rifle.
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Administrator

Originally Posted by TScottW99 View Post
Not to sound smart but, no where in the bill of rights does it say Need. A lot of people sure are throwing that word around as of late.

I have 1 that I built that I shoot at the range. It reminds me of the M16 A-1 I used in the military except it is not full auto.

I'm in the process of building Another that will be a hunting rifle.
I was hoping to have a more practical discussion, not pick apart the bill of rights word by word. Your rights are to own a gun if you want to, simply put. If you wish (want) to exercise your right to own a weapon, that's your choice (or right), within the extent of what state and federal laws will allow. I get that, but it's toeing the line on a political viewpoint which I wanted to avoid.

My question to you is do you need 1 or more assault weapons in your personal arsenal. Is it something you own because you have a practical use for it during your day-to-day, or is it something you want to own because you enjoy shooting it for recreational purposes and basically just because you can.

Any answer will suffice, I'm not suggesting any feelings on either side of the discussion.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by BIRDMAN View Post
My question to you is do you need 1 or more assault weapons in your personal arsenal. Is it something you own because you have a practical use for it during your day-to-day, or is it something you want to own because you enjoy shooting it for recreational purposes and basically just because you can.
Define "assault weapon" for me. I could use my bare hands, a pencil, a spoon or anything I wanted to assault someone with. AR does not stand for assault rifle which is what most people believe (I used to also). Here's a link to help educate others that believe that also

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=AR-15
Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I need one to defend my home, my life, my country. The founding fathers knew that without weapons it would make us subjects to the government and not citizens.

As Col. Cooper wrote (paraphrased) to divide hunting, sport & fighting uses of a weapon is to whittle the weapons away one by one.

I have the need for two ARs at the present moment. I surely have the want for more :-).
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Birdman has no fear of an oppressive government. Nor do I as long as I can defend myself with thermonuclear weapons. Trying reading the 2nd amendment. Birdbrain! MHO
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Need is a problem word. I don't need a large lifted truck. You don't need a 5 bedroom house, or a nice wristwatch. I am entitled to the right to own and operate a semi automatic rifle, anything past that is personal choice and not the government or the publics' business

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD
Old 12-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Administrator

Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
Define "assault weapon" for me. I could use my bare hands, a pencil, a spoon or anything I wanted to assault someone with. AR does not stand for assault rifle which is what most people believe (I used to also). Here's a link to help educate others that believe that also

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=AR-15
Let's say an automatic rifle. Terminology and semantics aren't what I want to discuss.

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Birdman has no fear of an oppressive government. Nor do I as long as I can defend myself with thermonuclear weapons. Trying reading the 2nd amendment. Birdbrain! MHO
Why are you attacking me for asking a question? I said multiple times, I'm not suggesting I stand on either side of the fence. I am asking this question because once the dust settles from the school shooting, the NRA press conference and any other related fallout, these are the questions that are going to be asked. You better have a damn good fucking answer unless you want your weapons confiscated. When you're done being a fucking asshole then start thinking about an intelligent response that doesn't involve the bill of rights and arguing semantics because we've already seen that shit doesn't matter to our government.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I don't need an automatic rifle. /thread.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD