Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion > Long Guns > Shotguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default Hornady SST slug performance

This year I bought a house and land in a rugged mountainous area. The land is mostly pretty steep, so when deer hunting, I wanted the deer to drop fast & not have to track it.

I bought a 12ga Browning Silver, put a Leupold scope on it, and then tried out some rounds. My shots are all close up - typically 25 yards at most likely shot sites.

At 25-50 yards, the Hornady 300gr SST was the most accurate. I was delivering dead bulls eyes with them. The Winchester Super X were very similar, but I ultimately went with the Hornady.

Yesterday morning, a buck came through at about 50 yards. Didn't expect to see one there, so of course that's where he showed up. I hit him with one round, and he didn't know he was hit. Ran about 15 yards, stopped to look around and see what was going on. I fired again. Then I saw 2 holes in his side, and he dropped 1 second later. The first shot probably did it, but I was ensuring he didn't run. He was dead within seconds.

In retrospect, my shots were too far back. I took out one lung & the bullets exited through the gut (he was quartering to). I shoulda aimed farther forward.

I think the rounds performed very well. Hit right where I aimed, and dispatched him fast despite not having the best shot placement. These 2 shots were unsupported from my stand at 50 yards away, and he had ran 15 yards between them.

The SST seems to be a very good round out of the Browning, and recoil really isn't much at all for a 12ga.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352704707.551953.jpg
blockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

"My shots are all close up - typically 25 yards at most likely shot sites."

That worked out real well. Good job.
Just asking though. If your shots are all close, why not use a lesser expensive slug. At that range you would not need a premium round that is designed for longer ranges. I shoot the Lightfield slugs. They work for me in both my smooth bore and rifled slug barrels.
I am looking at it from the cost side, but what you are using seems to work well.
Again, good job with shooting your deer.
Steve.
Mr.Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

It's a good question - if I can do the job for less money then why not. The Winchester would have done as well, and may have had even more terminal ballistic results - it's 1oz, or about 450gr, which is about 50% heavier than the Hornady.

In my tests, the Hornady were dead bullseye and overlapped holes. The Winchester were about an inch right, with about a 1" group. While the Winchester would have performed fine and cost less, I went with my gut. As for cost, I already had the shells - I bought a box each of several slugs to test.

Around here, I don't need the Hornadys. But I'm more confident with them, should I go somewhere else requiring a longer range. That will happen Friday, when I hunt on a buddy's farm. If I have any updates from then, I'll post it.

Bottom line, the answer to your question is I decided based on a gut feeling to use them over cheaper slugs I have here.
blockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Nothing wrong with that.

My dad has used those before and liked them. They were very accurate in his shotgun. I think I have win silvertips.

As far as cost goes, 1-2 slugs per year to fill your freezer probably won't break the bank. Heck, even 4-5 if you give meat to family and friends will probably be okay.

It's not like you're going to be using these to hunt doves. $$$
cce1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like the SST in my mossberg. Tried alot of differant rounds and they were they most consistant. I havent had to track any of my deer with them either.
Big Chris is offline   Reply With Quote