Go Back   Weapons Forum > Education & Training > Concealed Carry

Concealed Carry

CCW for a southpaw

This is a discussion on CCW for a southpaw within the Concealed Carry forums, part of the Education & Training category!
I am considering getting my CCW permit in Pa, I have not fired many compact pistols and was wondering what ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CCW for a southpaw

I am considering getting my CCW permit in Pa, I have not fired many compact pistols and was wondering what advice you could give as to what pistols would work well for someone looking for a lefty friendly pistol in the glock 19 and xdm 3.8 size range. thank you all for any and all info.
Dillon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

1911 was built for south paws.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Super Moderator

A revolver might be what you need unless you can find a semi with an ambidextrous safety that you like. A 1911 is pretty big unless you go compact model although there are some folks that do conceal carry them. I've found that smaller is more comfortable. I can carry a Glock 30 (.45) but prefer the Taurus PT740 (.40) due to it's thinner size. Neither of these guns has an ambidextrous safety but the Glock doesn't even have a separate manual safety. Just the trigger safety.

I like carrying appendix style so I'm just more comfortable having the extra manual safety on the Taurus. IMO, whatever you do, carry in a holster that covers the finger guard/trigger area. You don't want something finding it's way in there and accidentally discharging the gun while it's tucked in your pants. Could be life altering. Specially if you carry appendix style.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ That would HURT
Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Gen 4 G19 has ambi magazine release but no safety although you can get one, I have handled a gun with this iństalled . Sliderlock is the name but can't put a link up for some reason, Google Glock trigger safety and it will come up...here it is www.siderlock.com my bad glad I can edit....
Concealed 27 is my forum name and also another suggestion lol
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Concealed 27; 11-08-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Stock 1911 has all its controls on the left side so no ambi safety is needed for a south paw.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

If you can handle the size of it for ccw, that's the downfall in my eyes is size and weight......
Concealed 27
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Ultra carry CDP kimber is 3" barrel and as small or smaller than a 27 glock. Great gun.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

The Glock 19 & Glock 26 are both excellent choices for concealed carry. Just remember the same basic rules with all guns, don't put your finer on the trigger until you're ready to shoot. Carry with a holster that covers the trigger guard.

The Glock 26 shoots great and hides easily. That is a major plus for concealed carry as I have found if it's hard to carry and/or hide people will leave it at home.

A reason that I love the S&W 642 for carry. I carry mine a lot when carrying concealed.
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Just put a crimson trace on my 27. Mistake I think it sticks out about a foot.