Go Back   Weapons Forum > Education & Training > Personal Protection

Personal Protection

The 21 foot rule

This is a discussion on The 21 foot rule within the Personal Protection forums, part of the Education & Training category!
I have been hearing alot about this 21 foot rule when it comes to self defense. It explains how if ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The 21 foot rule

I have been hearing alot about this 21 foot rule when it comes to self defense. It explains how if you are attacked by a person with a knife, within 21 feet, your chances are greatly decreased of being able to draw your weapon and take them down. This is mostly for police officers, that is why when an officer thinks the person they are approaching could be armed they will stand back, especially in canada where police officers can only draw when they feel it is absolutely necessary. The rule implies that at 21 feet with weapon holstered, you will have enough time when your attacker starts running, to draw your weapon, aim, and decide on the best coarse of action from there, but, at 15 feet you will only have time to draw, 10 you will get you hand on your weapon and that it, at 5 you might not even react fast enough to dodge. This is why i stongly suggest, that if you see a shady character, or someone who is threatening seeming in a public place, i suggest you take this rule into practice and move away and be ready incase you need to act. This rule could save you when the time comes.
KingSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Read all of Jeff Coopers books and some Massad Ayoob then we will talk turkey. The reasons are sound and the teachers are getting old or gone. Lots of new war veterans teaching the same thing.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Read all of Jeff Coopers books and some Massad Ayoob then we will talk turkey. The reasons are sound and the teachers are getting old or gone. Lots of new war veterans teaching the same thing.
^^^ THIS.

FBI reports over the decades consistently bear out, the average distance involved in most shootings is... 21 feet.