Go Back   Weapons Forum > Education & Training > Personal Protection

Personal Protection

What is your self defense load?

This is a discussion on What is your self defense load? within the Personal Protection forums, part of the Education & Training category!
My nightstand gun is a 6" GP 100 in 357 magnum. It is loaded with Buffalo Bore 125 grain hollowpoints. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Question What is your self defense load?

My nightstand gun is a 6" GP 100 in 357 magnum. It is loaded with Buffalo Bore 125 grain hollowpoints.

My ccw is a full size M&P in 357 Sig. My current carry load is Winchester 125 grain PDX1 but I think I am going to switch to a load from Underwood. It uses Speer gold dots and is a hotter load.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

My bedside gun is a 6" S&W 28-2 .357 Mag loaded with Hornady 140 gr LEVERevolution.
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Administrator

My beside weapons are my 1911 5" .45 and as the backup, my XDS 3.3" .45. I use them both so that the wife may stay with the little girl and remain armed if something happens to me.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

One should carry hollowpoint ammunition in a defensive handgun. Hollowpoint ammunition has much better stopping power than full metal jacket or round-nose lead and stopping power is what you need when being assaulted.
The point is not to wound or kill the adversary, the point is to stop him in his tracks and make him cease attacking you. Stopping power (sometimes called "knock-down power") refers to a particular bullet's ability to incapacitate an attacker; the greater that ability, the less chance that your attacker will be able to continue shooting, stabbing, or beating you after you have shot him.
Handguns are not death rays. Despite what you see in the movies, the vast majority of people (over 80%) shot with handguns survive. Handguns are weak compared to rifles and shotguns and you want every edge you can get. Great ammunition is no more expensive than mediocre ammunition, so carry the best. Rifles and shotguns have stopping power to spare; handguns do not. Thus, you must select your handgun load very carefully and the detail of the handgun ammunition section reflects this.
Hollowpoint ammunition is NOT more lethal than ball (full metal jacket) ammunition. You may have seen media hype about "killer dum-dum bullets," but this is nonsense. Hollowpoint bullets usually expand and stop in the human body and thus the attacker absorbs much more of the bullet's kinetic energy than if the bullet had merely zipped through him and left two small holes. Hollowpoint ammunition is also safer for all parties concerned.
You are safer because your attacker is more likely to be incapacitated after one or two shots and thus unable to fire back, stab you, or whatever. The decreased likelihood of your attacker dying from hollowpoint bullets saves you the moral and legal complications and expense you will experience from killing a man.
Innocent bystanders are safer because hollowpoint bullets are less likely to exit the attacker's body and go on to injure anyone else. The ricochet danger is also much lower than that of ball ammunition, and hollowpoint bullets are less likely to penetrate walls or doors and strike uninvolved third parties. Furthermore, if your foe is incapacitated quickly he won't be spraying wild bullets around, endangering uninvolved third parties.
Lastly, your attacker is safer because he is far less likely to die from one or two hollowpoint bullets than the five or six round-nose slugs you would have had to fire to put him down. Most gunshot deaths occur from shock and loss of blood and ball rounds tend to make entry and exit wounds, whereas hollowpoints go in and stay put. An attacker shot twice with ball ammo will probably have four holes in him rather than two and is thus in far greater danger of death from blood loss. If you can avoid killing your attacker you should, for both moral and legal reasons.
There are some exceptions to the "carry only hollowpoints in a handgun" rule. Some older or cheaper automatic pistols will jam with hollowpoint rounds. With these guns, one must use ball rounds (or "full metal jacket" rounds - the terms are synonymous) and I specify some "reliable with ball only" models by caliber. It is crucial for you to test your pistol to make certain it is reliable with specific loads; don't rely on my advice. My life will never depend on the reliability of your handgun. Your life may.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Administrator

oh my rounds are definately hallow points I do agree that they make excellent defensive rounds.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

My PT92 has Hydra shocks along with my wifes XD in .40
Old 10-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

My nightstand has the H&K USP 40 and the wifes has her S&W M&P9c both loaded with JHP.

And this is protecting my Truck..........

TheOl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by TheOl55 View Post
My nightstand has the H&K USP 40 and the wifes has her S&W M&P9c both loaded with JHP.

And this is protecting my Truck..........

Want to sell the truck protector
Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Administrator

You ought to see what happens when he pulls the trigger.........

The speedo say 120 mph a 4000rpms......

and he's going backwards hehehehehe
ViperJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ViperJeff View Post
You ought to see what happens when he pulls the trigger.........

The speedo say 120 mph a 4000rpms......

and he's going backwards hehehehehe
You think you're kidding but I've read stories that when the A10 Tank Killer fires it's Gatlin gun the aircraft does decelerate. So I guess in theory that if it was flying near stall speed and it fires it's gun it could lose lift.