Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > Maintenance & Cleaning

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Default Gun Storage in Zippered Carrying Case???

So I've pretty much outgrown my gun safe. I use 1 half for shelving for my ammo storage, and a shelf for other important paperwork, harddrive back up drives, jewerly and other valuables I wouldn't want lost in a fire.

It'll be quite sometime before I'm able to buy another gun safe, either another to add to the one I have, or buy a bigger one, but even if I bought a bigger one, all it will do is probably hold what I have now and no room to grow. Chances are I'd just buy another one the same size I have now since I've already got the shelving alotted for ammo then the 2nd one will give plenty of room to grow.

As it is now, I've noticed some of my rifles are getting scratched up and dinged up, likely from being taken in and out and it being so crowded. I've got Allen carrying cases for most of my guns. I'm thinking of just keeping my rifles in their carrying cases, remove the divider shelf in the safe, and just let put thiem in the safe on thier buttstocks in the cases, this way they don't get damaged.

I've been told it's not good to store your guns in zippered cloth or vinyl gun cases, that they can't breathe and will rust? How true is this? What if I put a Silica pouch in each each case with the rifle?

Any other suggestions?
hotrodpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I store all ammo in a foot locker that can be hidden or moved if I want. Most ammo going with when I bug out. Ammo in safe would leave no room for guns. Humidifier in safe.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

i would not have a problem doing this myself. I do not think that it will do anything bad to it as long as the tempature is not high, as long as in a cool envirmdent ur ok... I only have a few long guns but I keep them that way. Jmho
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Concealed 27 View Post
i would not have a problem doing this myself. I do not think that it will do anything bad to it as long as the tempature is not high, as long as in a cool envirmdent ur ok... I only have a few long guns but I keep them that way. Jmho
Mine should be fine. My safe is bolted down inside my home office, so whatever temp the house is, my office is.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Administrator

Mine is stored in a zippered case
ViperJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
I store all ammo in a foot locker that can be hidden or moved if I want. Most ammo going with when I bug out. Ammo in safe would leave no room for guns. Humidifier in safe.
I've prolly got real close to over 2000 rds of ammo. I'd to see it stolen or worse burnt up in a fire. I fear my house catching fire more than I do thieves but still, I"d sure prefer to keep the ammo locked up to in a fireproof box of some sort. Maybe I should just get a smaller safe for ammo, then I can use the whole gun safe for guns.

hmmm, brainfart !!! Mabye I could just build a fireproof box for my ammo. I bet I can do that cheap. Two 5/8 sheets of drywall doubled up give you a 1 hour firewall, and Three 5/8 sheets gives you 2 hours. Maybe I need to try some testing.

Originally Posted by ViperJeff View Post
Mine is stored in a zippered case
Cool, I think I'll go for it and do this route for awhile and check them frequently. It didn't make much sense to me when I was told that's a no no that your guns will sweat and rust.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Administrator

Mine is hanging in the closet, haven't noticed any sweating
hotrodpc likes this.
ViperJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

for your ammo and keep guns in other safe.......I have alot of rounds too, know where your coming from.....

Safe, Security by SENTRY SAFE - Fire and Wall Safes by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I have a 1.38 cubic foot safe like concealed 27 posted above that I use to store some of my ammo. It will hold well over 2000 rounds of ammo. The rest is stored in ammo boxes.
Mockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
I hope you mean dehumidifier.
hotrodpc likes this.
cce1302 is offline   Reply With Quote