Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > Maintenance & Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I'll have to disagree with you guy's using a Boresnake for cleaning a barrel. Boresnake's work great as a "At the range/hunting camp" type bore cleaner. But all your doing is pulling a dirty rag through your bore after the first pass.
The Otis cleaning system is 100% better than the Boresnake set-up.

I'm ole school and use many different brands of solvents,copper removers with patches,jags,and brushes on any type of weapon where I can clean from the breech end.
Guns like Lever actions or Semi-auto's/Pumps that can't be cleaned conventionally with a rod from the breech end are cleaned with an Otis cleaning system,not a Boresnake.

I have come to really like the Gunslick foam bore cleaner on my rifle's.This stuff works great,spray it in the bore,let it soak about 30 minutes,and patch clean. If the bore is still dirty after that,I'll use a brush soaked in solvent,let it set 10-15 minutes and patch it clean.
Txhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

I rigged this rod up to an old drill running very slow. For me really takes the work out of scrubbing. That rod is soft aluminum and the drill is running so slow you could never scratch the barrel up even if you are sloppy with your cleaning technique. You can change brush heads depending on what you are cleaning, just screw it off..

I think I got the rods from Brownell's.

Drill Brush.jpg

Last edited by Mike Hammer; 12-08-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Mike Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I'll have to disagree with you guy's using a Boresnake for cleaning a barrel. Boresnake's work great as a "At the range/hunting camp" type bore cleaner. But all your doing is pulling a dirty rag through your bore after the first pass.
The Otis cleaning system is 100% better than the Boresnake set-up.

I'm ole school and use many different brands of solvents,copper removers with patches,jags,and brushes on any type of weapon where I can clean from the breech end.
Guns like Lever actions or Semi-auto's/Pumps that can't be cleaned conventionally with a rod from the breech end are cleaned with an Otis cleaning system,not a Boresnake.

I have come to really like the Gunslick foam bore cleaner on my rifle's.This stuff works great,spray it in the bore,let it soak about 30 minutes,and patch clean. If the bore is still dirty after that,I'll use a brush soaked in solvent,let it set 10-15 minutes and patch it clean.
I do have to concede that a boresnake is somewhat a quick fix and not necessarily the MOST effective way to clean a gun. I still run patches etc also often times after the snake when cleaning at home. But I do think a boresnake is a really great tool for what it is.
BOJANGLES is offline   Reply With Quote