Go Back   Weapons Forum > Member's Area > The Lounge > Politics / Conspiracy

Politics / Conspiracy

What Legislation will Work?

This is a discussion on What Legislation will Work? within the Politics / Conspiracy forums, part of the The Lounge category!
So, I realize I spend quite a bit of time explaining how a new AWB or magazine ban will not ...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default What Legislation will Work?

So, I realize I spend quite a bit of time explaining how a new AWB or magazine ban will not work to curb gun violence. But the other night I was talking with a friend and he wanted to know what I thought would work.

Enforce current laws is the key. Not only enforce them but give the maximum sentences for committing a crime with a firearm.

Besides that, the ONLY other item that I think might work would be a law providing for prosecution of negligence if a firearm owner did not have their firearms in a safe or trigger locks installed. My reasoning is that by not protecting your firearm if someone does steal it and is not hindered in using it would be negligence in my eyes. The problem is how will this be enforced? Currently, if one of my firearms were stolen and used in a crime it could be traced back to the store where I purchased it. This would lead them to me being the owner and therefore I would be guilty of negligence for not protecting it to the best of my ability (subjective I know).

It is not perfect and obviously has problems such as a private purchase where no form was used. However, I think of it like this. If I had a firearm stolen from me and found out that it was used to harm someone else I am already guilty in my mind. It was my responsibility.

With that being said. Do you think this could make a difference? What, if anything, would work?

Ruger SR9c, Ruger 22/45, Savage MKII SV-FR
AR build in progress
DrkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

If you have a gun stolen report it to police. Ya you should have had it locked up when you were not home. They call it stealing for a reason,they did not leave a receipt.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
If you have a gun stolen report it to police. Ya you should have had it locked up when you were not home. They call it stealing for a reason,they did not leave a receipt.
Your comment doesn't really make sense to me......

1. Of course report a firearm stolen.
2. Many, many people don't have a way to lock their guns up, what I am saying is they should or be responsible for what happens with them.

AR build in progress
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

You can always secure a gun if you want. You are only responsible for your actions if you are negligent in securing them.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

My friend and I had discussion over something along these lines the other day.

I was bitching about everything going on, and his wife start to give me crap for owning the guns that I do. Asking me why I need thoes guns, and what would I do if it were my children in that situation.

I began to confront her, and ask who is the more responsible gun owner........Me with all my guns locked in safes, with ammo in its own safe, or her and her husband with guns just standing in the closet, or sitting in a drawer? They don't own nearly the amount of guns that I do, so I'm not sure if that's their reasoning for not owning a safe, but it's not very responsible. Especially with a 2 year old just starting to roam around their house, and one on the way.

I have an 11yo boy, and a 4yo boy. I don't have my guns locked up just because I'm afraid of them being stolen, I have them locked up because I'm a responsible parent and gun owner.

She got all butt hurt, and stormed out of the garage. Then there was an awkward silence between me and my friend......Long story short. If your guns are not locked up, and somehow end up being used in a crime, you should be responsible..

Last edited by Mockstar; 01-09-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Mockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Mockstar View Post
......Long story short. If your guns are not locked up, and somehow end up being used in a crime, you should be responsible.
Exactly, this is my view on it. Up until recent events I had just done like your friends and left mine in the drawer and behind the bedroom door (no kids) but I got to thinking about everything and realized how I would feel if they were stolen and used against someone. This is the reason the next weekend I bought a safe.

This will not work without enforcing it along with strict enforcement of current laws.

AR build in progress
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Unless you spend a chunk of money for "real" safe, you aren't stopping anyone but little kids. Smaller safes can be carried out easily and trigger locks can easily be removed later. A good safe is a no brainer for someone with thousands invested in firwarms but what about someone who can barely afford 1 for home protection? Also, who do you charge? The youngest kid in my home is 17. If someone besides me is home, I want them to have the means to protect themselves and taking the time to unlock a safe isn't always an option.

Last edited by oppo; 01-09-2013 at 04:27 PM.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by oppo View Post
Unless you spend a chunk of money for "real" safe, you aren't stopping anyone but little kids. Smaller safes can be carried out easily and trigger locks can easily be removed later. A good safe is a no brainer for someone with thousands invested in firwarms but what about someone who can barely afford 1 for home protection? Also, who do you charge? The youngest kid in my home is 17. If someone besides me is home, I want them to have the means to protect themselves and taking the time to unlock a safe isn't always an option.
That why I sated my safes are in the house mainly because of my kids. I understand that they can be carried out, preyed open, cut open, blown up with C4, dragged thru a wall with a chain connected to tow truck, or whatever bright idea a thief might use.

If any of those situation were to occur, I could without a doubt prove that my obligation to have those firearms properly secured and stored was completed. I don't see any reason to be held responsible after that point.

As for quick access storage boxes for emergecy situations, they are available, and I do have one. That still doesn't mean that my 11 year old has access to it. Maybe when he's 17........
Mockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by oppo View Post
My safe is probably not considered a real safe, so since it is not I should do nothing? It may not be the best but it makes me feel better about knowing it is a little harder for people to steal my guns.

People that can only afford one gun for protection, probably a pistol, can get a nice lock box that can be bolted somewhere (not just set on the nightstand) and it be better than just leaving it out. Single pistol safes are alot easier to hide as well.

I would not, and do not, lock up my guns when I am home. Every night when I get home they go to their respective positions. Every morning when I leave for work they go back in the safe.

Like I said earlier, it is not perfect. But it is something that I am willing to do to possibly keep my guns out of the hands of others.

AR build in progress
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

If somebody steals my car and goes out and kills some one with it,I am not responsible. It was taken without my permission and used. Given op reasoning you are guilty for owning a gun. Stealing is a crime and if reported the criminal is guilty of the crime. That is why in Florida if a private citizen is injured in the commission of a crime the perc is charge with it,even if he was shot by another person trying to stop him. Good judgement says lock your guns and doors,it is not the law.