Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > Rimfire Guns and Ammo

Rimfire Guns and Ammo

.22 WMR pistol

This is a discussion on .22 WMR pistol within the Rimfire Guns and Ammo forums, part of the General Weapons category!
Thinking of a new .22 mag pistol for my wife. She is a dead on shot at most and range ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down .22 WMR pistol

Thinking of a new .22 mag pistol for my wife. She is a dead on shot at most and range with her current .38 snub nose on the first shot, but she does not have the hand strenght for follow up shots. She stays dead center but the gun seems to roll in her hand and each follow up shot is just up about 2" higher at 25 feet. And yes we have tried many different grips on the gun. Any thoughts on changing to the 22 mag?
KeckWerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

For practice or SD? Ruger makes a neat wheel gun in 22 lr and 22mag..
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Super Moderator

If you can find one, the KelTec PMR 30 is a cool (full sized) .22 mag. It hold 30 rounds so she has plenty of follow up shots.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/
Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I would to have one.Very ammo sensitive .A friend just got one paid $700. for it. Way more than worth.AMT made one a few years ago and there is the grendal. All 22mag.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
I would to have one.Very ammo sensitive .A friend just got one paid $700. for it. Way more than worth.AMT made one a few years ago and there is the grendal. All 22mag.
Yes I've talked to a few who have the PMR-30 and they say it very fun but unreliable. I was thinking more in the line of a revolver.
KeckWerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Is this for concealed carry or will it only be for home defense?

If only home defense, i would suggest simply switching to a full size revolver. If it is for concealed carry, you might consider using wadcutters.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

She needs to try different styles of guns to find a handle shape (not grip) to fit her hands. My wife has very small hands and had a similar issue. The angle and shape of the handle makes all the difference. She ended up doing very well with a SIG 230/232 in .380. Follow up shots are not an issue. She can dump a full mag and keep all on the paper at 25ft. Recently she tried a SIG 226 in 9mm and did very well with it. My Glock 9mm she can't shoot for crap. .22 Mag is a very poor defence round and not real fun to target shoot. I have a S&W .22 Mag double action revolver and a Ruger .22 Mag single action. I would much rather shoot .22LR any day. Out of a 4" barrel the fireball rivals a .357 Mag.

Find a comfortable gun for her and work on her stance and grip.
Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Look at the CZ models they have a nice grip for the ladies.(mm would be fun to shoot and almost affordable.