Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > Rimfire Guns and Ammo

Rimfire Guns and Ammo

AR-15 based 22 need help!!!

This is a discussion on AR-15 based 22 need help!!! within the Rimfire Guns and Ammo forums, part of the General Weapons category!
Ok so I'm fairly new to the AR platform so forgive me for my ignorant ass! I am looking into ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default AR-15 based 22 need help!!!

Ok so I'm fairly new to the AR platform so forgive me for my ignorant ass!

I am looking into getting a AR-15 22, but have a few questions. I don't know who all makes them and who is the best. I also was wondering is there any difference between an AR-15 22 and a regular AR-15. I might use the lower for something else but will probably use the 22 just for plinking and ammo is really cheap.

So could I put like a .556 upper on a lower AR-15 22?
Is the buffer tub spring different?
Is the trigger different?

Yeah I know I need lots of help. haha

I really just need a lower but can't seem to really find one.
ISFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Was looking at this what do you think?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I would feel more comfortable putting a 22 upper on a standard lower than I would the other way around. There are some differences between the 22's, 9mm also, and the standard rifle actions. I am not familiar enough with them to correctly explain all the differences though.

One thing I will point out about the 22 in your link is that it specifically states that it has a poly lower. I wouldn't use a poly lower designed for a 22 with anything more powerful than that.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

I completely overlooked that. Yeah plans were for something real big to go on top of that lower. Back to the drawing board.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I have a M&P 15-22 like the one you posted, they are fantastic plinkers that cost about the same as a dedicated .22 upper. Polymer lower or not does not matter since they are dimensionally different and won't accept anything but M&P .22 uppers.

Swapping uppers between one lower is something all AR owners dream about one they first start, but honestly who wants half a gun laying around when you can have another complete one for a couple hundred more bucks?

I say go for the 15-22 and save for the big boy AR later...2 is always better than 1 1/2.
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well I kinda work backwards. I have a Para TTR now which is nothing short of awesome. The DIGS is great but no buffer tube means swapping out for the BIG ar upper is more of a pain. Was just hoping for an easy swap where i could run the 22 most of the time then swap out for the single shot when i needed. I dont use the big boy enough to have a dedicated lower. Plus didn't really want to mess with paper work for something like that. The upper is a "part" so I like it that way haha.

Thanks for the heads up on the M&P 15-22 being different and not able to accept the regular AR uppers. Looks like I'll just keep my eyes open for a lower that comes across for sale. Oh and I think the extra high it won't fit in the safe in one piece due to the barrel not able to fit through the hole haha
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Cmmg makes good .22 uppers or even just bolt carrier group conversions
MIKEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

most .22 caliber Ar-pattern complete rifles are not built on an AR lower. Colt, S&W, Mossberg, to name a couple.

If you want one compatible, buy the complete AR22 upper, and a separate AR lower.
CMMG, Spikes, Tactical Solutions, DPMS, some others make good quality compatible .22lr uppers
cce1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Looking at a m&p 15-22 811033 or 811034
They are cool.
moodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by ISFast View Post
Ok so I'm fairly new to the AR platform so forgive me for my ignorant ass!

I am looking into getting a AR-15 22, but have a few questions. I don't know who all makes them and who is the best. I also was wondering is there any difference between an AR-15 22 and a regular AR-15. I might use the lower for something else but will probably use the 22 just for plinking and ammo is really cheap.

So could I put like a .556 upper on a lower AR-15 22?
Is the buffer tub spring different?
Is the trigger different?

Yeah I know I need lots of help. haha

I really just need a lower but can't seem to really find one.

ok its a little hard to explain but im gonna tell you how it works..
U do not need a conversonal upper at all, you can shoot 22LR thru the factory barrel. Its the same round as 223 but just a few mm smaller. All you really need is the conversion mag. As the round travels thru the rifling it will wobble a litte bit "side2side" Now if you do not have a mil-spec barrell. I would not do it. If u do It will blowback and catch bolt carrier and retun into battery....I will try and get liks for you guys. I cant upload anything on this site ......................G19
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote