Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > Rimfire Guns and Ammo

Rimfire Guns and Ammo

i finally talked the wife into it

This is a discussion on i finally talked the wife into it within the Rimfire Guns and Ammo forums, part of the General Weapons category!
i just went to the local gun store with the wife and purchased two .22's. a ruger 10/22 and a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Default i finally talked the wife into it

i just went to the local gun store with the wife and purchased two .22's. a ruger 10/22 and a cz 455. the cz is for my kid because my wife did not want her to have a semi auto.... but im sure my daughter will want to switch (no complaints from me on that though) so on the 12th i get to pick them up. christmas present for her this year. my daughter is quite the shot with my nephews lever action and iron sights

i consider this a huge achievement. my wife is from japan, there is a "no gun" policy there. she never saw a gun until a couple years ago when we were visiting my sister and bro in law. i think when i scared off a couple of thieves a few months back helped change her mind a bit, but its not really a home defense gun, i just cant get her to grasp that idea yet. but unfortunately no handgun for me yet either...... still working on that part
Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Nice!! Congrats man
Humvee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

If she will read any good books get some books from library on self defense. There are some really well written ones on different types of scenarios.Then you can get here some Jeff Cooper books.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

It is a step in the right direction. Congrats on the 22's. The Ruger is a nice rifle and you will love the CZ. I certainly do. I have a 452 that is a tackdriver. It shoots bulk stuff well but feeding it subs or match ammo is well worth it and produces sub 1" groups at 100 yards.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Full Access Member

what kind of scope would you guys recommend for them? and also where is a good place to buy ammo? i heard wallmart had .22 for sale really cheap, but im not sure about quality..
Old 12-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I generally recommend a 3-9x40 scope on a 22 rifle. It's what I have on one of my 10/22s. the other has open sights. I have a fixed 4x Burris on my 77/22 but I'd like to bump it up to a 6x since 4x is on the low end for what I use it for (small groups @ 100 yds).
My kids have a 22 that came with a 4x also, so that's what sits on it. 4x is sufficient if you're never shooting past 50 yards.

$200-300 invested in a decent scope gets you relatively clear glass and consistent adjustment. I'd stay away from the $50 scopes.

As far as ammo, the bulk stuff shoots fine in my 10/22s. I like federal champion, but remington and winchester work as well. the groups aren't as tight as some of the better stuff, but they work.
CCI Standard Velocity for the 77/22
cce1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Ammo from Wal-Mart is fine. You'll have to play around and see what your 10/22 likes. they all shoot different and like different things.
Maxx2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

.22 is always on sale online. I've seen deals where you spend over a certain amount and you get free shipping. The .22 is already cheap enough!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Check out the site www.slickguns.com for deals. They don't have all the deals but some a pretty good
Old 12-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

thanks guys, i will check around. also i will give that wallmart ammo a try and see if it works good with either of them.