Go Back   Weapons Forum > General Weapons > Rimfire Guns and Ammo

Rimfire Guns and Ammo

Ruger 22/45

This is a discussion on Ruger 22/45 within the Rimfire Guns and Ammo forums, part of the General Weapons category!
I bought a Ruger 22/45 a couple of years ago. I am a big fan of this pistol. It will ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default Ruger 22/45

I bought a Ruger 22/45 a couple of years ago. I am a big fan of this pistol. It will shoot much better than I can and a blast on the range. My biggest gripe is the magazine disconnect and the hard magazine release.

Santa brought me the fix for both this year. A Tandemkross magazine disconnect bushing. I just finished installing it. No more magazine safety and the magazines jump out of the gun. I'm supper happy for $9.99.

I think next will be a Volquartsen sear and trigger to clean up the creep.

Santa also brought a Black Max holster for the 22/45. Can't wait until squirrel season to give it a workout.

Last edited by TScottW99; 02-05-2014 at 09:10 PM.
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Good info. I may have to doctor my 22/45 Lite.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Why are they such a pain to field strip? BuckMark is a breeze.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

The bushing helps with that also. With no magazine safety you loses the need to insert the mag, take it out and then put it back in. It also makes the main spring a tad easier to put back in.

Still harder than it needs to be I clean mine with a pull through cleaner mostly. Field strip it once a blue moon.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I have the previous version of the same 5" bull barrel pistol. Great gun. Don't need to worry about the mag disconnect, but the volquartsen accurizing kit was a great investment.

I'll have to look into that holster, as I haven't gotten around to buying one for mine. Does the holster extend far beyond the barrel? do you think it would be good to cut it off with a dremel?
cce1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
I have the previous version of the same 5" bull barrel pistol. Great gun. Don't need to worry about the mag disconnect, but the volquartsen accurizing kit was a great investment.

I'll have to look into that holster, as I haven't gotten around to buying one for mine. Does the holster extend far beyond the barrel? do you think it would be good to cut it off with a dremel?
The holster extends right at 1" past the barrel. You could cut the inch off with no problems as there is no screws or other vital parts in that last inch. Here is a pic I took for you....

Brownells has the best price by far for the holster. $26.99 for either the low ride or high ride. Midway has it for $33.

Low-Rider Holster : RUGERŪ MARK I/II/III BLACK MAX HOLSTER | Brownells
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by SilvrSRT10 View Post
Good info. I may have to doctor my 22/45 Lite.

I love my 22/45 but dang I want one of those I need to do a video of the magazine jumping out after the upgrade. Wish I had done a before and after video. Huge difference.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TScottW99 View Post
I love my 22/45 but dang I want one of those I need to do a video of the magazine jumping out after the upgrade. Wish I had done a before and after video. Huge difference.
Based on your bushing review, I have one on the way. Now I get to do some more gun smithing. Watched a Youtube video on how to do it. Shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by SilvrSRT10 View Post
Based on your bushing review, I have one on the way. Now I get to do some more gun smithing. Watched a Youtube video on how to do it. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Good deal. It was easy to do. Hardest part is the normal field strip and put back together
Old 02-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by TScottW99 View Post
The holster extends right at 1" past the barrel. You could cut the inch off with no problems as there is no screws or other vital parts in that last inch. Here is a pic I took for you....

Brownells has the best price by far for the holster. $26.99 for either the low ride or high ride. Midway has it for $33.

Low-Rider Holster : RUGERŪ MARK I/II/III BLACK MAX HOLSTER | Brownells

Thanks!
cce1302 is offline   Reply With Quote