Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion > Long Guns > AR-15

AR-15

7.62x39 AR-15?

This is a discussion on 7.62x39 AR-15? within the AR-15 forums, part of the Long Guns category!
So hopefully I'll be building a few AR's over the next few months. I've been trying to decide on what ...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default 7.62x39 AR-15?

So hopefully I'll be building a few AR's over the next few months. I've been trying to decide on what caliber would best suit my needs for a fun gun. I know I'd like to build one in .223/5.56 and thinking about building the other in 7.62x39. Does anyone here have an AR or have first hand experience with one chambered in 7.62x39? Any pointers to get me going in the right direction? Should I avoid or look for certain parts? Any known issues that are unavoidable?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Im would not go for an AK47 round....Go with the 300 BO, Not gonna cost you much more to build if your gunsmithing everything yourself. A lot of info on the link

300BlkTalk • View topic - 300 AAC BLACKOUT FAQ
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

if you want an ar that runs ak ammo look at the rock river lar-47
BlueLineFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Concealed 27 View Post
Im would not go for an AK47 round....Go with the 300 BO, Not gonna cost you much more to build if your gunsmithing everything yourself. A lot of info on the link

300BlkTalk • View topic - 300 AAC BLACKOUT FAQ
Thanks but I already have a AR in .300blk. I wanna do this build mainly because of ammo price and availability. I'm still seeing decent amounts of 7.62x39 out there at fair prices. Everything else is over a $1 a round if you can even find. Hopefully things will return to normal and then I'll have a plinker with knockdown power.

Originally Posted by BlueLineFish View Post
if you want an ar that runs ak ammo look at the rock river lar-47
Aren't they only taking pre-orders on that right now? Besides I already have all the parts to complete a lower for this build. I haven't committed myself to any upper parts so I can still change the caliber if I need to. I've been doing quite a bit of research and it seems that building a reliable 7.62x39 AR isn't too difficult. I'll need to use certain parts to make it work but I've been able to find everything online for a decent price so far
Old 01-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

[QUOTE=RangerDanger;12160]Thanks but I already have a AR in .300blk. I wanna do this build mainly because of ammo price and availability. I'm still seeing decent amounts of 7.62x39 out there at fair prices. Everything else is over a $1 a round if you can even find. Hopefully things will return to normal

gotcha, you are right ive seen brown bear in alot of shops. A sporting goods store had the tul ammo for 400 bucks for 1000 rds... so I see wear your going there. I managed to pick up 100 green tip penatraders for $40..in223
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I'll try to post a parts list sometime tomorrow. That way if anyone wants to build their own they'll have a good starting point. I'm still researching so I may change some things but I feel like I've got it planned out fairly decently. Hopefully I've done my research properly lol
Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I'd love to have an AR that shot 7.62x39. Yep, still get ammo for .25 per round when you can find it in stock. I've shot close to 3 thousand rounds of the Wolf 7.62x39 and I've only had 1 FTF round. The primer was nicely dotted and plenty deep. I did hear the little pop, so I'm going to assume that shell missed getting powder put in it. Knowing it's a safe round now, I've got it around here somewhere and used for a Christmas Tree ornament 1 year.

However, I do have an AK-47 and an SKS that shoot 7.62x39, so for my first AR, I probably would go with .223 since it can also be gotten for .25 per round, and in case I come across a stockplie of .223, I'd like to have something that will shoot it.

I'm fully aware the .223 is very accurate up to 500 yards, but I am satified with accuracy up to 300 yards and have some knock down energy where the .223 has about none.
hotrodpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I'll probably get a AK-47 eventually but it's just not in the plan right now. I have something with the same ergonomics that shoots 12g if that counts. I haven't seen much .223 and what I have seen is way overpriced. The 7.62x39 that I've seen was higher than before but still reasonable so that's one of the major deciding factors for this build.

I with ya on the accuracy thing. Besides, if I wanted something to shoot past 300 yards it wouldn't be a .223 or 7.62x39
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

This is a parts list of what I'll be using on this rifle assuming I can find these parts when I'm ready. I won't know for sure if I made the right decision on parts until I have everything, assemble the rifle and actually shoot it. From all the reading I've done over the last few days I feel like I have a good starting point although some of the items may change as I continue researching.

After reading a ton of info on other sites these first few items are what I feel will be necessary to build a reliable 7.62x39 AR. Although I still haven't made my mind up on which upper receiver and barrel they'll both have M4 feed ramps. I have read of others having to polish their feed ramps.

ASC mags
MGI enhanced bolt and firing pin
Upper receiver with M4 feed ramps
Barrel with M4 feed ramps

The rest is what I plan to use but doesn't matter what caliber I build in.

Spikes Tactical lower
Magpul MOE lower build kit
BCM Gunfighter mod4 charging handle
Whatever bolt carrier I can find lol (seems everyone is sold out)
YHM Todd Jarret quad rail
AAC Blackout flash hider
Optics are still undecided
Old 01-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I think the fed is stocking up also.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote