Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion > Long Guns > AR-15

AR-15

Scope recommendations

This is a discussion on Scope recommendations within the AR-15 forums, part of the Long Guns category!
I finally have all my parts ordered for my AR build. It is a 6x45 and will have a 20" ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SilvrSRT10
  • 1 Post By Silver-Bolt
  • 1 Post By Txhillbilly
  • 1 Post By Maxx2893

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Question Scope recommendations

I finally have all my parts ordered for my AR build. It is a 6x45 and will have a 20" heavy contour Shilen select match barrel. I am hoping for little groups a long ways off. I also plan to use it in the woods though. I would like to get something with a large objective and a wide range of magnification. I have still have some homework to do but something like the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50 with mildot reticle looks pretty ideal. Has anyone used this scope or does anyone have any other recommendations of something similar? I would like to stay in the $600-$700 range but would consider spending more if the value is there.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I just put one of these (Millett TRS-1) on my FNAR .308. Really nice scope. Reviews place it with scopes that cost 3 times as much. Amazon has it for $302 and free shipping (under "More Buying Choices). Very similar to the Bushnell.

Amazon Amazon
oppo likes this.

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 02-08-2013 at 11:47 PM.
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I went with a Vortex Viper 2.5-10 on my Sig716. Sighting it in this morning. So far it looks like a very nice piece. My max range I plan to shoot at is 600 yards so I didn't see a need to go bigger than 2.5-10.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-v...iflescope.html
oppo likes this.
Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I've never been a fan of Bushnell product's,they have bad customer service if you ever have problems with them. I know this from experience.
They also had a few problems with the 6500 series from what I've read.

For the $600-700 price range,I'd suggest these two scopes.

Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope

Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope

The Weaver has fantastic glass in it,30mm tube,and also is First Focal Plane.
I have a 3-15x50 Super Slam and it's a great scope.

The Ziess has some of the best clarity of any scope on the market,the only down fall that I've ever had with the Conquest is the lack of adjustment range since it uses a 1" tube,but unless you are wanting to shoot past 600 yards that really won't come into play.

If you want to step up to better scopes for true Long range ability,look at the Sightron SIII,or the Vortex Viper PST scopes. I prefer the Sightron over the Vortex,the Sightrons have better glass,and seem to track and repeat better. Vortex gives you a couple things that Sightron doesn't offer like Zero stop and FFP reticle.
These scopes run from around $750-1100 depending on the model.
oppo likes this.
Txhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default Re: Scope recommendations

I have the exact Zeiss scope suggested above and I love it. I definitely recommend it.
oppo likes this.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I just realized I never updated this thread. Funds were a little tight and I cheaper out. Cabelas had one of their 6-18 30 mm tactical scopes on sale. Between the sale and getting to use a friend's discount, it was too good a deal to pass up. So far, I am happy with it. The optics are much better than I expected for that price point.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote