Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion > Long Guns > AR-15

AR-15

Something a little different. My slow AR build

This is a discussion on Something a little different. My slow AR build within the AR-15 forums, part of the Long Guns category!
I didn't really know where to put this, because when finished it will be an AR, but....a pistol. Impractical? Sure. ...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default Something a little different. My slow AR build

I didn't really know where to put this, because when finished it will be an AR, but....a pistol. Impractical? Sure. Novelty? Well, maybe. A load of fun? Hell yes.
I'm looking at building a 10"-10.5" pistol, and I've started gathering parts. I'm starting out with a GT Vector Mil spec nekkid billet lower. Picked it up today at a good price (especially with today's madness) and considering picking up a poly lower as well just to have around, we'll see. Seems to me the upper will be the hardest thing to track down just casually looking around

On order I also have my optics, grip, and pistol buffer kit, and end plate with ambidextrous sling mount. Notice I didn't mention any brands, what fun would that be if I ruined the "look what parts came in!" pics?
This will be my first complete build, I've put an upper on a complete lower and I've bought a complete rifle, so we'll see how this goes. I have a few things in mind for the build but it's probably best if I just post a picture of the general direction the build will go for reference. These both came from fellas over at AR15.com

My goal is to have it done and running well by Sept. 7th, which is my wedding day (I told you it'd be a slow build, right?). Figured I'd go ahead and start a thread since ill have parts coming in the next couple days and I'll have something to actually show. If nothing else, maybe the next guy that builds one can learn from the mistakes I'm sure I'll make.

Last edited by KKing; 02-14-2013 at 03:11 AM.
KKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Not really my thing, but cool nonetheless.

Is the lack of a stock (even though you have a giant buffer tube anyway) the only thing that officially makes it a pistol? I can't go to a website and get a 10" barrel without going through NFA procedures, so I'm trying to figure this all out.....
tacticold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Super Moderator

An AR-15 receiver is an AR-15, so you did good and got it in the right place.

I'm a bit on board with Tacti, it looks like it's missing a stock, but it sure gave me a weird idea. You'll need to build 2 now. One for the left side and one for the right side.

Using power mirror motors on your truck, you can have ports on the front side of your mirrors, then simply shove that splined pole end into the ports on the mirrors, now you you can aim with your power mirror switches, left, right, up, down, hmmm, now for a remote trigger. Maybe a joystick button on the top of the mirror controllers???

Yes, it's cool but if it's not being adapted for a turrit on the front of an ATV or truck mirrors I think I'd want a folding adjustable butt stock of some sort.
hotrodpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by tacticold View Post
Not really my thing, but cool nonetheless.
Is the lack of a stock (even though you have a giant buffer tube anyway) the only thing that officially makes it a pistol? I can't go to a website and get a 10" barrel without going through NFA procedures, so I'm trying to figure this all out.....
Yep, that's it, and the buffer tube. From what I read the safest bet is to get a strictly pistol buffer tube since I believe the law says "stock can't be readily attached" althought some just use a normal buffer tube with a cap on it. Most normally just build these as a gateway to SBR until their Form 1 gets back. Just kind of allows you to build an SBR, you can even put a "stock saddle" on. And still be legal, although I wouldn't.

Originally Posted by hotrodpc View Post
An AR-15 receiver is an AR-15, so you did good and got it in the right place.
I'm a bit on board with Tacti, it looks like it's missing a stock, but it sure gave me a weird idea. You'll need to build 2 now. One for the left side and one for the right side.
Using power mirror motors on your truck, you can have ports on the front side of your mirrors, then simply shove that splined pole end into the ports on the mirrors, now you you can aim with your power mirror switches, left, right, up, down, hmmm, now for a remote trigger. Maybe a joystick button on the top of the mirror controllers???
Yes, it's cool but if it's not being adapted for a turrit on the front of an ATV or truck mirrors I think I'd want a folding adjustable butt stock of some sort.
That sounds like some great zombie crowd control to me! If I didn't already have my RRA full length AR, I'd be building this one as a 16", but since I've got it I want it to have a little buddy to play with

BTW, if anyone knows who makes the forearm on the first gun I posted from ar15, help a brotha out! I can't decide if I wanna run it or Magpul to save some weight

Last edited by KKing; 02-14-2013 at 10:23 AM.
KKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Should be a cool build. Ive been debating on putting a pistol buffer tube on mine so I can shoot it while wIting for the tax stamp. Can't wait to see more pics of the slow build
Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
STF
Full Access Member

Those pistols are just straight up fun to shoot.

Here's mine in 300Blackout

STF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KKing View Post

My goal is to have it done and running well by Sept. 7th, which is my wedding day (I told you it'd be a slow build, right?). Figured I'd go ahead and start a thread since ill have parts coming in the next couple days and I'll have something to actually show. If nothing else, maybe the next guy that builds one can learn from the mistakes I'm sure I'll make.
Originally Posted by STF View Post

I like them both. Kinda eliminates or changes my mind about wanting a Carbine. I think I'd rather just do this. Only advantage I see of a carbine, is shooting handgun ammo will be cheaper, and a bit easier to find than .223, but dayum, a .223 handgun, that would be badass.
Well said, just to keep the AR-15 company and have a little friend.
That's what my SIL said about his PX4 Baretta, to keep his CX4 Carbine company and they share the same mags.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by STF View Post

That's what I'm talking about! Is that the Midwest Industries hand gaurd? Sure looks like it if not. I'm thinking about doing that very one in 10". I'm already planning my next one in .308, this could be bad lol

Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
Should be a cool build. Ive been debating on putting a pistol buffer tube on mine so I can shoot it while wIting for the tax stamp. Can't wait to see more pics of the slow build
I'm excited, more so than I have about any weapon I've just bought off the shelf. I been lurking on your thread as well man, love keeping up with everything

Originally Posted by hotrodpc View Post
I like them both. Kinda eliminates or changes my mind about wanting a Carbine. I think I'd rather just do this. Only advantage I see of a carbine, is shooting handgun ammo will be cheaper, and a bit easier to find than .223, but dayum, a .223 handgun, that would be badass.
Well said, just to keep the AR-15 company and have a little friend.
That's what my SIL said about his PX4 Baretta, to keep his CX4 Carbine company and they share the same mags.
Simple solution: build one of these in a pistol caliber! The only thing I don't like about these that are built in handgun calibers is they kinda look neutered because the magazines are so small where the go into the large opening of the mag well. Like this
Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
STF
Full Access Member

YEAH, THAT'S THE 10" ss COVER ON AN 8.2" BARREL.
STF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KKing View Post
That's what I'm talking about! Is that the Midwest Industries hand gaurd? Sure looks like it if not. I'm thinking about doing that very one in 10". I'm already planning my next one in .308, this could be bad lol

I'm excited, more so than I have about any weapon I've just bought off the shelf. I been lurking on your thread as well man, love keeping up with everything

Simple solution: build one of these in a pistol caliber! The only thing I don't like about these that are built in handgun calibers is they kinda look neutered because the magazines are so small where the go into the large opening of the mag well. Like this
Nawww, if spending that kind of cash, I'd rather just do the .223. For 1, I'd have to 1 up the SIL's CX4 Baretta 9mm Carbine, #2 After I told him how much sense it didn't make to have a handgun round in a carbine round.... Which I did change my mind after I shot his CX4. But hey, if you're going to reach out and touch someone and show some love, I'd say the .223 will reach alot further than the 9mm would. If ammo ever settles down in availability, .223 shouldn't really cost but pennies more per round.