Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion > Hand Guns > 1911

Kimber Help

This is a discussion on Kimber Help within the 1911 forums, part of the Hand Guns category!
Recently added a Kimber Custom Eclipse II to the collection. So far I've put about 200 rounds down range. I'm ...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kimber Help

Recently added a Kimber Custom Eclipse II to the collection. So far I've put about 200 rounds down range. I'm having a serious failure to feed issue... About 30% of the time the round jams while feeding out of the mag. I'm shooting Chip Mccormick power mags.

The question is... Do I keep spending $$ on ammo trying to break the gun in a bit more or just jump ship and send it back to Kimber. The manual suggests 300 rounds for a proper breakin but I'm having a hard time believing that 3 out of every 10 rounds is typical during this period.

My warrior does not have this problem. However, the tolerances in the custom eclipse II seem much tighter.

Thanks for your input in advance...

CBizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Nice looking guns my friend and I suggest maybe calling them or if you have mags from your other kimber try using those and see what happens. Hope that gives some help sorry I can't do more, I don't own a 1911 so don't want to give you advice on internals of the weapon. Hope it gets better for ya keep us informed.....
Concealed 27
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks 27. Good call on the mag swap. May give that a try and see if I can get to their recommended break in round count before calling. Something tells me that will be their first question.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Keep it real wet and don't fire anything but ball ammo for awhile. What kind of failure to fire or feed are you having. Fluff and buff by Gunsmith might help. Keep it wet, grease the slide rails and feed ramp. A little lubrication helps, alot makes thing slide better.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Keep it real wet and don't fire anything but ball ammo for awhile. What kind of failure to fire or feed are you having. Fluff and buff by Gunsmith might help. Keep it wet, grease the slide rails and feed ramp. A little lubrication helps, alot makes thing slide better.
The failure has to do with the round feeding properly out of mag. Kinda just gets stuck on the way out. I'm gonna give it real good lube job before I take it out again. The last 100 rounds were reloads but the first 100 was quality ammo. No difference with the failure issues.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Sounds like a feed ramp issue.What are you feeding it. My Kimbers feed empty cases from the mags. Stick with ball ammo for awhile.
CBizzle likes this.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I agree about the magazines. I swear by Wilson magazines for the 1911 platform. I also agree that FMJ for break in also and running it wet during break in.

Nice pistol!
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Have you had a chance to take it to range yet with the other mags and it real lubed up?
Concealed 27
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

I agree about trying different mags, kimber mags have been known to stick when new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
04viperram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Concealed 27 View Post
Have you had a chance to take it to range yet with the other mags and it real lubed up?
Concealed 27
Not yet... Hoping one day next week. Will report back.