Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion > Hand Guns > 1911

need help with choice of 1911

This is a discussion on need help with choice of 1911 within the 1911 forums, part of the Hand Guns category!
OK, I'm a Glock guy but really want a starter 1911. Since I don't know a hole lot about them ...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default need help with choice of 1911

OK, I'm a Glock guy but really want a starter 1911. Since I don't know a hole lot about them I thought I'd ask you guys... I was looking at a Rock Island, I just don't know what to look for in the pistol. Thanks 1911 guys, I would appreciate any links to certain guns....... Concealed 27
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

How much you want to start with?
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Metro Arms... hands down. Kimber or high end Springfield quality, at half the price. They're a young company trying to get their name out there.

I've got one model in stock, with 2 more on the way... if you want some pics.

American Classic Line | Metro Arms Corporation

http://www.facebook.com/BrosInArmsWAR
BrothersInArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Sig
Silver-Bolt likes this.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default need help with choice of 1911

Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
Sig
Sig=junk! Colt 1911 or Remington R1
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Your budget will be a huge factor. 1911's can cost very little for the import garbage to many thousands for the custom rigs. Currently my only 1911 is a Sig Match Elite. I paid $900 to my door. It is a lot of 1911 for the money. It has been flawless through about 3k rounds so far. They are worth a look.

What size do you want? Full 5" Government? Officer's? Compact?
Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Also what do you intend to use it for. CCW or target.My CCW is commander size wife's is officers size. Double stack or not lots more pondering to be done.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Also what do you intend to use it for. CCW or target.My CCW is commander size wife's is officers size. Double stack or not lots more pondering to be done.
I plan to carry and shoot my price range is gonna be between 600-800 I like the the commander size u got bad ass gun. Its not gonna happen for awhile, I was gonna build another AR but I've always wanted Colt 1911 M1A1.....but they are not cheap. I may just save some more and get it one. I would carry it a little and shoot it, but I think I would be better off with a a gun that dosnt go for $1400 , can still get a decent gun I think in my current price range. I have to change heath ins, my Dr is not accepting my current carrier..
What pain in the ass so i will do some looking at 1911. I appreciate the other member letting me know what's good....... Concealed 27
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by BrothersInArms View Post
Metro Arms... hands down. Kimber or high end Springfield quality, at half the price. They're a young company trying to get their name out there.

I've got one model in stock, with 2 more on the way... if you want some pics.

American Classic Line | Metro Arms Corporation
Thanks for the heads up, that gun comes with alot of extras and i think the price is amazing...... gonna try and find one I would love to hold it, I can order one online but not into buying a gun w/o holding it, but if i do we will do business bia....Concealed 27

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Look at used guns also. Tampa ,St Pete has lots of guns stores and pawn shops were you might pick up a real good one for you price.Looks like there are a number of Philippine and South Korean company's making quality guns and getting them here.