Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion > Hand Guns

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Default S&W SD9VE & SD40VE vs Glock G19 & G23

So I've heard about the lawsuit where Glock sued Smith & Wesson over the Sigma Series. It was an undisclosed settlement and S&W agreed to make changes to their model. Now the SD9VE and SD40VE are a generation or 2 on down from the original Sigma and it appears they also dropped the Sigma name off of it too.

Being a Glock fan, and wanting to aquire a few more handguns before any Map Cap limit hits, I decided I want to get another Full Frame Gen 4 Glock, and when I seen how cheap these SD9VE and SD40VE are, seen plenty reviews without complaints and noticed how much they do function similar to a Glock, I figured I'll end up getting one of each.

I got the SD9VE yesterday. Took the slide off and oh yeah, I can see why Glock took offense. And mind you, this is the changed model, so the original Sigma was even closer than this one was apparently. The pics don't really do all the justice as you can tell in person side by side, but they are very very simliar just by comparing the frames and by comparing the slides.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD9VevsG23 001b.jpg (49.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg SD9VevsG23 004b.jpg (81.0 KB, 114 views)
hotrodpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Here are some pics of the frames and underside of the slides. We're comparing a SD9VE 9mm vs Glock 23 Midframe .40, but still the G23 is the same a G19 and The 9VE is the same as the 40VE.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD9VevsG23 008b.jpg (80.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg SD9VevsG23 009b.jpg (81.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg SD9VevsG23 011b.jpg (94.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I have not got to shoot my new S&W 9VE yet, but I pretty much have a good idea what to expect after playing with the trigger a bit. It's a fact, the S&W trigger ISN'T a Glock trigger. And maybe, it's just because it's not broke in, but just racking the slide and tapping a mag in, doesn't feel like Glock either. Just not quite as smooth and maybe has a tad bit of cheap feel to it in comparison. But, it's not bad at all. For now, the S&W sites are OK, but they are plastic with white painted dots, not metal and the dots are not recessed, but they are functional sites and doesn't take long at all to get a sight picture with them. I seen a video where a guy ordered M&P sights and swapped them out. Seemed the M&P sights were $21.

But, there are also a few small advantages of the S&W over the Glock too. I'll know more after I shoot it, but if it's as reliable to shoot as all of the reviews say it is, I just might Daily carry one of the S&W's. I'd never give up on my Glocks, but I have heard some stories of someone's daily carry getting stolen when they had to leave it in ther vehicle to go into a place where CCW was not allowed, and you know for a fact, if you do end up using your weapon to defend youself, you know you're going to have to give it up, at least long enough for an investigation to be conducted. I'd sure hate to give up one of my Glocks for any length of time.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

They can make it look like a glock BUT it's still not a glock.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GLOCK V View Post
They can make it look like a glock BUT it's still not a glock.
Oh hell NO. It's not a Glock. You can tell that just by working the slide and the trigger. I'll still never give up on my Glocks. There is certainly a noticeable difference in quality.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sometimes people are never satisfied. Got rid of my HiPoint and got a S&W 9ve and you people still complain . I guess the only good gun is the one YOU carry...
pclamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Kinda looks like that 9mm HiPoint I used to have...hahaha
Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

HiPoint looks like a real close relative of Glock...lol
Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Ihad a first gen 9ve and it was a glock copy for sure...I do however like the new ones for the price and I think you made a wise decision picking those up....You can always sell them if your not happy....Concealed 27
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pclamb View Post
Sometimes people are never satisfied. Got rid of my HiPoint and got a S&W 9ve and you people still complain . I guess the only good gun is the one YOU carry...
Whose complaining about 9ve? I'm loving mine. My Glock now gets locked up in the house when not in use and is still my carry gun. For the home protection hand piece, (12gu is the primary home protection) I have the 9ve out and accessible. It's hidden in the house but I can get to it in about 1.5 seconds. In the event the house catches fire or gets rummaged thru by a thief, I'll lose a $300 gun, not a $550 gun aka my baby. And I can say, I'd trust my life with the 9VE. I've not had any failures and it eats everything I feed it.

Kinda looks like that 9mm HiPoint I used to have...hahaha
HiPoint looks like a real close relative of Glock...lol
Now I know you're on crack. Either that, you must be a terrible shot, cuz you're vision is all kind of messed up. And I though I needed glasses.

Saying Hi Point LOOKS like a close relative of the Glock, is like saying a Chevy Pickup is real close relative to a Ford Pickup.