Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion > Hand Guns

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kwo51
  • 1 Post By Concealed 27

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Max
Full Access Member

Default Simple customization of a Beretta

Hello everyone

This is once again a question that came up while I worked on my novel-project (yes that's still going on, I hope I'm not annoying you with it).
The point is, that one of the characters carries/uses a Beretta 92FS, at times the Inox-Version.
Now, the book is set in a war, and it's obviously not smart to use a silver gun if you want to stay hidden.
I wanted to know if it makes sense if the character would take the Inox, and spray-paint it in green, brown or dark gray.
Or does the silver color make no difference, as the gun is rather small?

I would like to get your opinion on that.

Thanks for your time,

Max

Edit:
I have already seen some repainted Berettas, but I wonder if that has any real reason, or if it is just for show.

Last edited by Max; 10-12-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Added information
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Makes no difference if he is caring concealed.
oppo likes this.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Does not matter it's gonna be bolstered somewhere on hip or thigh, if your character is using weapon already in a firefight so makes no difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg th-2.jpeg (6.6 KB, 5 views)
oppo likes this.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Max
Full Access Member

The gun is acutally carried in a pocket most of the time (not safe, I know).
But sometimes it is carried at the ready, while clearing a room/house for example.
But then again, in those instances there are at least two other guns at the ready as well.
So I guess you're right, it doesn't really matter.

Max
Old 10-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Certain prop items can be used more to say something about the character's personality. If you wish to add a little attitude, choosing a unique or flashy weapon can be useful. It also adds more description and "feel" to a scene in the story.
And remember that props can also become a signature of a certain character. Think of items like Wyatt Earp's "Buntline special" colt revolver; Quigly's Sharps rifle; or even Chewbacca's Bowcaster from Star Wars. Even Gen. Patton is often mentioned with his nickel-plated Colt SAA on his hip.

However, if re-coating the gun fits some part of the plot or is a tool for advancement of the story, then that would be fine also.

"If you treat me as an enemy, I will become one."
dR
Jo6pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Max
Full Access Member

The guns in the novel are matched to the characters.
The girl in question got the Beretta as it is an italian gun (-company), and the girl used to pay lots of attention to fashion.
Also, the 92 is a little less smooth than the Storm, for example, supposingly showing that the character has "some edges" (not that easy to explain).
The Inox was chosen to show a difference to all the black guns.
The coating would just have the point that the characters mostly "operate" at night/dusk, and of course try not to be seen too early.
But it seems like the coating is unnecessary, as pointed out before, because of the Beretta mainly being a backup.

Max