Go Back   Weapons Forum > Education & Training > Prepping & Natural Disasters

Prepping & Natural Disasters

Bug Out Bag

This is a discussion on Bug Out Bag within the Prepping & Natural Disasters forums, part of the Education & Training category!
Here's a thread on Bug out Bags. If you've got questions about em; what they're for,what do you keep in ...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default Bug Out Bag

Here's a thread on Bug out Bags. If you've got questions about em; what they're for,what do you keep in em, what should you keep in em, what should you look for, etc. here is your place. If you've got em, post up what you keep in yours.

Hopefully this will be a thread members can go to if they decide they want to keep a BoB, to see what they should include in theirs. All BoB's will be different. What you need in yours will change by region and skill level. But this will be a good place to learn about them.

To start things off, I keep a small bag in my truck. It's more of a "if something were to happen and I rolled my truck out of cell service, I could survive until I signaled someone" instead of a "WROL I'm gonna live the rest of my life off this" bag. Here's my list, I'll add pictures later.

1. The bag is a small water proof bag that has straps that can be attached for backpack carry. Waterproof is a good thing, it'll keep rain out, and if I set up a base camp and water is near by, I can empty the pack at camp and carry water in it.

2. 2 liters of drinking water. This is a biggie. No it won't last long, but it will keep me hydrated for a while. The also serve as water proof containers if I happen to find water.

3. First Aid kit. Another big one, you gotta be able to take care of wounds. Bandaids help keep infections out.

4. Snake Bite Kit. I'm in Texas. I travel to West Texas often. This will help if a rattlesnake bites. It's not an anti-venom, and won't cure it. But it will prolong it, hopefully long enough that I can get help. Inside the bite kit is iodine, that can be used for other injuries.

5. Knife. I always keep a sharp knife on me. I've got a sturdy larger fixed blade in the bag. This is good for chopping wood, spear making, etc. the list goes on. I will be taking off the plastic in the handle and replacing it with paracord. I will have a knife around my neck that has 4 feet of paracord wrapped around it. It's a smaller fixed blade, good for doing more precise tasks.

6. 550 PARACORD. It can be used for so many different thing. You can tie spears together, use it to fish, tie shelter together, hang food in trees to keep animals away, make a bow drill, make nets, the list doesn't end. For those who don't know, it's called 550, because that's the strength of it. The sheathing is rated at 200 lbs breaking strenght. Inside is 7 strands each rated for 50 lbs. In a pinch you can turn 5 feet of 550 paracord into 35 feet of 50 pound cord for fishing. You still have the sheathing to use as well. In emergency circumstances only, you could rappel with it. Make sure you get the real stuff, it's usually the same price as the fake stuff, I'll post up how to tell the difference.

I know I'm missing something, I'll update this thread later. Post up what you keep in your Bug out Bags, it'll give others some ideas of what they should include.
Maxx2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRLP3fxXBqk

Video isn't great, but it does show some differences. Real cord has 7 Nylon strands inside. Fake won't. It may be off on the number of strands, or it may not be nylon. Always get your cord from a reputable place. I order from BladeHQ. Their price is on par with everyone else, and it's real cord so I know I'm not getting screwed.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Carrying water is good but it's heavy and you'll run out eventually. I've been seeing ads for "Life Straw" and other similar items. They're light weight and can fit in a BOB. You can drink water from a ditch through them. Suppose to filter out all kinds of impurities and are good to 250 gallons (Lifestraw).

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 01-04-2013 at 04:33 PM.
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by SilvrSRT10 View Post
Carrying water is good but it's heavy and you'll run out eventually. I've been seeing ads for "Life Straw" and other similar items. They're light weight and can fit in a BOB. You can drink water from a ditch through them. Suppose to filter out all kinds of impurities and are good to 250 gallons (Lifestraw).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2YTUP8T9YD2O6

http://www.amazon.com/Vestergaard-Fr.../dp/B006QF3TW4
I've been pretty interested in those, but haven't brought myself to buy any yet. I'll probably pick some up and still keep the water with me. In West Texas, water of any kind can be hard to find sometimes.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Maxx2893 View Post
I've been pretty interested in those, but haven't brought myself to buy any yet. I'll probably pick some up and still keep the water with me. In West Texas, water of any kind can be hard to find sometimes.
Yeah, depending on your location, you may not find water in a ditch. So you have to be prepared for your environment. Good point.

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 01-04-2013 at 06:35 PM.
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

But, for how small and light they are, I really can't see any drawback to carrying them.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member

how about some gloves? where you are you can always get water from cactus. but you will poke the crap out of yourself
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by ninja man View Post
how about some gloves? where you are you can always get water from cactus. but you will poke the crap out of yourself
Good point. I keep a set of mechanix wear's in my truck for whatever, and i would definitely grab them if i could gwt to them after an accident, but i should probably grab a set dedicated to be in there, in case anythng happens.

Oh and depending on the cactus you have around, you could get a couple fingers on it without getting poked. Then take your knife and just kinda scrape the needles away. They'll fall off readily
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Full Access Member

yeah, i still got some stuck in my tires........
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Gloves are a good idea. Not only to protect your hands when needed but also to help keep them warm when the temps drop. It would be good to find a pair to pull double duty. Along with that is a stocking cap. They say 70% of heat loss is through the head. If you're caught out in the cold, you need to keep the heat in.