Go Back   Weapons Forum > Education & Training > Prepping & Natural Disasters

Prepping & Natural Disasters

Bug Out Bag

This is a discussion on Bug Out Bag within the Prepping & Natural Disasters forums, part of the Education & Training category!
Most important is that whatever you have in your ditch bag, know how to use it. Take a first aid ...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Most important is that whatever you have in your ditch bag, know how to use it. Take a first aid class, surivival course, etc. Not much point in carrying items you don't know how to use or what they are for. Always replish the items that get used. Water and a couple of MRE's can sustain a person for several days. Pack according to your plan. If your plan is to bugout and not return you will need more supplies. If your plan is to bugout short term you won't need as much.
Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Most important is that whatever you have in your ditch bag, know how to use it. Take a first aid class, surivival course, etc. Not much point in carrying items you don't know how to use or what they are for. Always replish the items that get used. Water and a couple of MRE's can sustain a person for several days. Pack according to your plan. If your plan is to bugout and not return you will need more supplies. If your plan is to bugout short term you won't need as much.
I was thinking the exact the same thing. It wouldn't do you a damn bit of good to take this stuff if you have no clue how to use it.
Kinda gave me an idea. My dad has 160 acres. How cool would be it be to start a business doing Disaster Survival Training classes. Students check in Saturday Morning and leave Sunday Evening. Surviving on nothing but their BugOut Bag for 2 days. No cell phone, No vehicle, No electricity, No running water etc etc.

The Boy Scouts ought to do those too. Going camping to most people these days is about like staying in a Hotel overnight.
hotrodpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by hotrodpc View Post
I was thinking the exact the same thing. It wouldn't do you a damn bit of good to take this stuff if you have no clue how to use it.
Kinda gave me an idea. My dad has 160 acres. How cool would be it be to start a business doing Disaster Survival Training classes. Students check in Saturday Morning and leave Sunday Evening. Surviving on nothing but their BugOut Bag for 2 days. No cell phone, No vehicle, No electricity, No running water etc etc.

The Boy Scouts ought to do those too. Going camping to most people these days is about like staying in a Hotel overnight.
That would be very cool.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Putting together some survival classes in these times could be very lucrative. Spend a couple days teaching them hands on and then set them loose on the property to practice what they've learned. Only prohibitive expense to that might be insurance. If someone hurt themselves or worse, you'd need good coverage. Or have them sign a waiver.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Full Access Member

HR - i will put my countryboy, Eagle Scout wealth of knowledge to use when you need me! I grewup dirt ass poor, so doing a lot from nothing was life. Mountain folk have done it for years...I believe it would work with the right business plan.
SWSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #26 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SWSS View Post
HR - i will put my countryboy, Eagle Scout wealth of knowledge to use when you need me! I grewup dirt ass poor, so doing a lot from nothing was life. Mountain folk have done it for years...I believe it would work with the right business plan.
That would be great if ever it evolves someday. My biggest hurdle is convincing my dad. In a way, I don't blame him, but he's very well guarded about the people he wants at the property. Friends of mine is usually fine, but strangers, not so much.
hotrodpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Full Access Member

First class would have drones flying over it. Practice skeet shooting.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #28 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Boy Scout Field Handbook...
SWSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Ranger hand book. Classes are all ready taking place in mid Florida. Info is kept low key for privacy reasons.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #30 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Ranger hand book. Classes are all ready taking place in mid Florida. Info is kept low key for privacy reasons.
I just found this. With my failing eyesight (just getting old) this could be worth it's weight in gold.

Ranger Handbook (Large format edition): The Official U.S. Army Ranger Handbook SH21-76, Revised February 2011: Ranger Training Brigade, U.S. Army Infantry School, U.S. Department of the Army: 9781780396590: Amazon.com: Books Ranger Handbook (Large format edition): The Official U.S. Army Ranger Handbook SH21-76, Revised February 2011: Ranger Training Brigade, U.S. Army Infantry School, U.S. Department of the Army: 9781780396590: Amazon.com: Books