Go Back   Weapons Forum > Education & Training > Prepping & Natural Disasters

Prepping & Natural Disasters

Prepping

This is a discussion on Prepping within the Prepping & Natural Disasters forums, part of the Education & Training category!
Whether it's a natural or man made disaster, you need to be prepared. For the same reason we own weapons ...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Default Prepping

Whether it's a natural or man made disaster, you need to be prepared. For the same reason we own weapons (When seconds count the police are minutes away), we should also be self sufficient when the power goes out and the grocery stores are empty. That means have a reserve of food, possibly a generator for lights and refrigeration and a supply of fuel for the generator. Situations may be so bad that you cannot leave the house. So it's best to hunker down and lie low.

With that being said, I thought this would be a good thread to share prepping/survival ideas. Maybe what type foods and how to store them, emergency lighting, etc.

I'll start with one I just learned yesterday and have already tested. The 45 Day Crisco Candle. Saw a Youtube vid on taking a can of Crisco/Any brand shortening. Taking a wick stick it down the middle of the can. Smear a little shortening on the wick and light it. They say it will last for 45 days at 8 hours a day (overnight).

Bought a can of Walmart Brand shortening ($4.12) and then went over to the sporting goods area and bought some kerosene lamp wicks (5 for $2.47). When I got home I took a straw and created a hole in the shortening and then used the straw to push the wick down into it. Put a little shortening on the wick and lit it. Where else you going to find a candle that lasts up to 45 days for $6.50?

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 01-11-2013 at 10:49 PM.
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Store things in water proof containers ..... Matches/Lighters, water purification tablets , Toilet paper,Spare clothes, Flash lights and extra batteries,Pocket Knife(Swiss army ), Sterno is a good source for heating up things , MRE's are a good source of long lasting stored food,,, The Brownies are great hehehe... A sufficient Water supply is a must. Some of the everyday essentials will make it a bit easier ... And don't forget some sort of self protection for when the looters come around. You should keep these things in a good easy to find element protected location.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Administrator

This may sound a bit weird, But you know those solar lights you put in your yard. Don't forget them when the power goes out. They make a great alternate source of light and most come with an on off switch.
ViperJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ViperJeff View Post
This may sound a bit weird, But you know those solar lights you put in your yard. Don't forget them when the power goes out. They make a great alternate source of light and most come with an on off switch.
Not a bad idea but I've never been impressed with their light output. Although in a "no power" situation I agree they're better than nothing.

Everybody go get some of those LED headlights. No...not for the car, for your head. They're great for putting light right where you want it and leaves your hands free. Along the same idea as Jeff was saying about the yard lights, get a couple sets of rechargeable batteries and a solar charger. This way when one set runs down you can swap them out of the charger. I've got a couple sets of the Energizer headlights and rechargeable batteries as a backup.

Costco has an emergency lantern that runs on 8 D batteries for $19. It's not going to flood a room in light but you'll be able to see where your going. I like the idea of LED because they don't use a lot of power but even though they are bright to look at, they don't project light very far IMO. The one exception is the headlights I mentioned above. I think I heard somewhere that bugs aren't even drawn to LED lights.

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 09-23-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Here's a solar battery charger from Harbor Freight for $15. Think I'll pick one up to see how it works. AAA, AA, C, D, 9V.
Click on the photo and it'll take you to their website.

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 09-23-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Let me know if it's a good buy, the price isn't to bad
ViperJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Let me know if it's a good buy, the price isn't to bad
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. A customer of mine and I were talking about Harbor Freight and he gave ma a 20% off coupon. So I went down there and ended up buying two of them. With the coupon they came to $13 and change each. I haven't really tested them yet but I think they'll function as a backup if the power goes out for an extended length of time. Cheap insurance to keep batteries charged up if you need to.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Super Moderator

If you've never thought about prepping before, I encourage you to read this book.
One Second After is a story about a little North Carolina town after a EMP that shuts down the electrical grid nationally. It makes you aware of what we take for granted and how not having them affects our lives. It makes you want to prepare to survive and the story of this little town and it's people really kept me interested. Click the pic to read more about it and see an interview with the author.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Great idea. They usually come with the cheapest AA rechargable batteries; replace them with a high energy name brand for better performance.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Remember that you can get potable water out of the back of the toilet and the hot water heater.
Maxx2893 is offline   Reply With Quote