Go Back   Weapons Forum > Education & Training > Prepping & Natural Disasters

Prepping & Natural Disasters

A Woman's prepping guide (food for thought)

This is a discussion on A Woman's prepping guide (food for thought) within the Prepping & Natural Disasters forums, part of the Education & Training category!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Exclamation A Woman's prepping guide (food for thought)

GREAT excerpt from Rawles' Survivalblog.com - specifically, from Pt.III of an article on the mindset of those who SAY they "can't/won't" prepare now, while the prepping is good.

This particular exchange IS directed to a woman, but it's JUST as applicable to ANYONE who's UN-prepared, and wants to ignore the obvious.

...Iím reminded of a conversation I had with my ex-wife. We have two children who live with her in one of the biggest cities in Florida. I mentioned to her about having a few things put away, such as food, in case there were problems with supply. I told her about grocery stores being cleaned out at an alarming speed, the possibility of looters, et cetera. Her response to all of this was that she ďwas not in a position to prepare right nowĒ and would ďgo into the woods to hunt deer and provide foodĒ. I was stunned when she said this, although I should not have been. She is very overweight and out of shape, although she claims to be ďworking on itĒ. I asked her where the ďwoodsĒ were. She waved in the general direction of a city park.

Here is my reply to her:

Okay, letís say that everything goes South and you canít buy food. Figuring that the whole family isnít spread out all over the city between school and work, and everyone just happens to be all at home, the first thing I suspect youíre going to do is sit in your house for days while two adults and four kids (two are his) are plowing through what you have in the kitchen. Letís pretend you have enough food to feed that many people something decently healthy for three days, though you donít. Letís also pretend that you have water to drink it with, which we both know you donít, and youíre not chewing on the dry noodles and colored yellow powder that comes in a box of macaroni and cheese, which you canít boil without power, without fuel, and without ever having lit a fire in your life. I imagine that youíll sit there waiting for someone, such as the government, to come help you for another few days. Weíll pretend that you arenít dead or close to death after three days without water, or that you are not sick from drinking from questionable sources. Letís just say that all of this happens at the best time of the year with nice, mild weather. Now, you decide that you must ďGo into the woods to hunt deer and provide foodĒ. Youíre going to grab the only gun you own, which is a 9mm Glock pistol, put on something other than the ďghastly earth tones you despise and donít ownĒ, and the sensible ladies career shoes you wear to your job at the bank. You will now set out for the woods that you couldnít point to on a map and that has deer. Since you live in one of the largest cities in Florida, youíre going to have to walk because the roads are jammed or blocked. Letís pretend that you arenít set upon by looters or mobs of criminals who are just as desperate as you are. Letís pretend they ignore that nice Glock you have, since you donít have a holster and the one extra magazine you own is in your purse, which they wonít notice, either. You live, as-the-crow-flies, almost fifteen miles to the edge of the city. Letís pretend that the woods are on the edge of the city and letís also pretend that you only have to walk the distance as a crow would fly. So you walk through the broken and desperate city full of looters and criminals for an entire fifteen miles in those sensible shoes. Letís pretend that you could do that in the shape youíre in. You miraculously make it to the edge of the city, where we will also pretend are the ďwoods with deerĒ. After this fifteen mile stroll through the park, letís imagine you wonít be thirsty, and of course youíll have been well fed and hydrated when you left. Letís just say that no one else had this brilliant idea in a city whose population is over 850,000 and who havenít eaten or scared off every single animal available, least of all the low-hanging fruit, which are deer right on the edge of the city. We all know that experienced hunters never come back empty handed, so you shouldnít either, even though youíve never hunted before. Letís pretend that ten feet into the woods is a decent-sized deer standing there waiting for you to kill it. You take careful aim, calling on the training you last practiced years ago, and weíll just say you drop it cleanly with a single shot. Weíll pretend that it didnít move, you actually hit it, the wound inflicted was mortal, and it didnít run off needing to be tracked. It just lays down and dies on the spot. Letís pretend that no one heard that shot and no one is coming to investigate. The sharpest knife you own is stainless steel kitchen knife with which you have trouble getting through a tomato cleanly, but letís just say you happen to have a razor sharp knife and wonít be sawing through hair and hide with what is basically a large butter knife. Letís pretend you thought to bring it. So you chop up this deer without having a clue as to how itís done, but hey anyone can get some meat out of it, right? Weíll say you didnít spoil anything by doing something like punching through the bladder and spoiling the meat, since you canít so much as rinse it with the water you donít have. You donít own a day backpack or any backpack, but letís just pretend that you do and that it will support some decent weight. I donít think you could carry 10 pounds of anything on your back, but letís just say you bag 50 pounds of meat, put it in your pack, and head home. So now weíll pretend that you can walk, dehydration and undernourishment aside, another 15 miles as-the-crow-flies back through the city of looters and criminals, for a total of 30 miles in aday, the second half of which you were carrying a load and without a drop to drink. So you make it back home, the place you left having taken the only gun in the house, where everyone applauds your return. Further pretending that you somehow cook this meat (the smell of which didnít attract a single person in a starving city of 850,000), there is no problem digesting a 100% meat diet without water, and everyone eats their fill for an entire week because of the fact that you canít preserve it. Then you will have to go do all of that again. I asked her, ďSo your plan is to go hunting every week?Ē.

She then walked away from me.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

This is the mindset of many. People will be wondering where the FEMA trucks are full of fresh food and clean water. Where is the National Guard to protect us. I've run out of my medication and without it I'll die. Or My meds need to be refrigerated or they'll go bad.

These are the people who will parish first. In a true SHTF situation it's going to be an awful time. It's a major "Reset" to the way things are. It will set the country back many years. The only one's we can count on are ourselves. So have a supply of foods. Canned, freeze dried. Store some water or have a way to get some. If you have to get water from a pond have the filters to make it drinkable. There's some nasty stuff in pond water that will make you very ill.

Learn how to dress a deer and have the right tools to do it. Have non GMO, non hybrid seeds in case you need to plant a garden to keep you going. That is if you make it through the first few months of whatever the situation is and you can start try and make your life somewhat normal again.

FYI - from what I've been told, when you harvest seeds from a hybrid plant, they are sterile and will not produce another plant. What you need are Heritage seeds. You can harvest the seeds from a heritage plant and replant them to keep your crop going over and over again.
The War Wagon likes this.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

You guys got it all wrong. We have a room full of toilet paper. When the shtf we can wipe it off.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Super Moderator

If only it were that easy. Take a hand full of Clorox wipes and clean it off the walls and ceiling. Gonna be more difficult than that I think. It's going to take a high capacity assault pressure washer. Black of course.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Administrator

I have a well, does that help
ViperJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Red face

Originally Posted by ViperJeff View Post
I have a well, does that help
Just make sure no one SHTF's in it!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Well I guess I'm not he only sick one here. Where is Jeff ? Under water today I bet.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Administrator

It would be pretty hard to $hit in a 2 inch naturally pressurized line a 100 feet into the ground
Old 08-31-2016, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Red face

Originally Posted by ViperJeff View Post
It would be pretty hard to $hit in a 2 inch naturally pressurized line a 100 feet into the ground

I was visualizing something closer to this.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Administrator

Yep..... Nope

I'm completely off the grid with water. Wasn't sure about well water at first, but it's damn nice. Off the grid power is next