Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I want to build an AR...

Can somebody point me in the right direction, the only thing I think I know is that I want it to be chambered in 5.56, other than that I'm not sure where to begin...help!
JJP71584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Figure out what you most want to do with it. A precision AR typically is going to have a barrel length of 18"+. An all around carbine is usually 16". Anything under 16" will be considered an SBR and will require federal paperwork. Next most important is your budget. It's possible to build a budget AR for around $500. If you go all out expect you cost to surpass $3k. Iron sights are cheaper than optics. Optics are more accurate than iron sights. Do you want a DI (direct impingement) or do you want a piston gun? Pluses and minuses to both. Your budget will really dictate which direction to go.
Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Yep, the AR is very versatile and there are lots of options. The first step is to figure out what you want to do with the rifle and how much you are willing to spend. Then we can figure out parts.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Sporstman guide has lower blank recivers for $80 .
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was hoping to keep my build under or around $1k, I was hoping for optics but not sure on the difference between DI or a piston gun, will be researching this for sure...
Old 07-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Good optics can cost more than the gun. Prices have come down on most ar's and building one could be more expensive . Good way to learn is get a lower enter level gun and learn all the nomenclature of it.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member

im in the same boat as the op. my brother in law helped me build my lower. i have no idea what to do with it.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm literally starting from scratch, is there a step by step guide somewhere?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Palmetto makes good quality AR parts at a reasonable price. You can spend more and get less and you can spend less and get less. For a first time build they are a good reliable and trusted source. Youtube has thousands of how to videos. AR15.com is another good information source. For your first build I would recommend keeping it simple. A 16" DI carbine, flat top receiver, railed hand guard would be a great start. Flip up iron sights gives you the option of having both iron sights and optics down the road. My opinion for a first build is to keep all the parts from a single source. If you have an issue there is no question as to the compatibility of the parts.

Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory
Sgt. Rock and Concealed 27 like this.
Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

There a lot of stuff online to help you, the lower is fairly easy but with the information online will help you a lot.....good luck and keep us informed where your at.
Concealed 27
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote