Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help Identifying old knife.

Hello everyone! I need help Identifying this old knife I have. The story goes, that my father got it from his grandfather, and that it was made in Greece (my father's side of the family are all from Greece). Supposedly, it was something of an heirloom. However, I'm not sure I buy it. It doesn't seem that old, and at best, it seems like a wall decoration someone picked up at a swap meet. Despite my doubts of its origin, and authenticity, I cannot help but be curious. I have no idea what kind of knife it is, it's age, or any history related to it. Any information given on it would be greatly appreciated. There are no identifying marks on it, like names, numbers, place of origin, or any of that. I can tell you that the handle is a mixture of wood (not sure what kind) and leather. It has brass fittings, and what seems to be an entirely solid brass sheathe. It is in okay condition (my brother had it before, and did not take care of it like a newb). If there is anything I've left out, please feel free to ask me, and I will do my best to answer your questions. If I need to post more pictures of it than what I provide here, I am fine with that as well. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to analyze this for me!

BlackMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Wow...that thing sure is ornate. Certainly don't want to use it. It really is for display no matter what it's origin is. If I find any info on it, I'll pass it along.
BlackMage likes this.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks very much, I appreciate it! And I agree, even if it is authentic, it is certainly more decorative than functional.
BlackMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

That is strange the bend in thee blade tells old stories of a karambit but then the handle tells another I really can't put a finger on what type of knife that is. My best geuss is a weirs screwed up karambit

Sent from my Z933 using Tapatalk
Full_Tang_Foundation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hello! Bending is very specific, resembles Arabic. I think, It's looks like Syrian "Hajar" (a short, curved Arabic sword) or something of that type. I'm sorry, I did not find English equivalents of these terms, but in Russian it sounds like "ханджар" or "куммия"
oppo likes this.
Nataliya Pahomova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Sure it's not just an old Swiss army knife.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Lightbulb

WOW. I've got something similar myself, that - as the story goes - is a "bringback" from Iraq. It looks like modern construction methods (albeit it nominally crude), of an old STYLE.

I'll hafta take some better pics and post them - lemmee see if I've got a couple already on my computer.

I don't. Something to do tomorrow!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

The blade not being Damascus twist would make it relative new product.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Administrator

I think its definitely a middle eastern blade . . . Maybe from Turkey . . . I have seen that design a few times, but all I can think of is old weapons designed in Istanbul a very long time ago. This definitely looks to be of recent construction so maybe its a replica of an old blade using more modern practices?
Old 04-10-2016, 06:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Arrow

OK - got pictures of mine - just gotta download 'em onto a USB at the office (my office computer has a card reader), and bring 'em BACK here and post 'em! Should have 'em up later today.