Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #31 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I'm a little jelly myself.

Greed & corruption is the norm.
#860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #32 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Haha, just realized that I replied in the wrong thread.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #33 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I haven't heard the big bores in person. They will definitely have a noticable report but not nearly as loud as a conventional firearm.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #34 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I have a Benjamin Nitro Piston .25. It's a single cock type rifle. I've seen video's of it taking rabbit and smaller game. Don't know about pig. It'd have to be a perfectly placed shot. I wanted something that was subsonic but packed a pretty good punch. It does have a crack to it when fired but nothing like the bang of even a .22lr. There is no cartridge to replace. When you cock the barrel it charges (compresses) the internal cylinder so that when you pull the trigger it releases the air pressure and fires the pellet.

There is no magazine to a pellet rifle. The pellets are kept in your pocket. Every time you cock the barrel to charge the piston, you put a pellet in the barrel. This video will tell you all you want to know about these type rifles.

The PCP guns are charged from an external air source. Something like a scuba tank which can hold about 3K psi of air. With each shot the pressure is reduced until you get back to your source and recharge the gun. The prepper in me didn't want to have to rely on an external source. Once your main source runs out, what do you do when the power is out and you can't get your tank refilled? That's why I went with the cock and go rifle. Plus it's considerably less expensive.

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 03-19-2017 at 09:27 PM.
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #35 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oppo View Post
Haha, just realized that I replied in the wrong thread.
Fixed it.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:56 AM   #36 (permalink)

Originally Posted by SilvrSRT10 View Post
I have a Benjamin Nitro Piston .25. It's a single cock type rifle. ... There is no magazine to a pellet rifle. The pellets are kept in your pocket. ...
It seems to me to be within the bounds of possibility for someone to design a compressed-air-powered rifle with a magazine reload mechanism. The magazine would contain only the bullets, not the explosive parts of cartridges.
Anthony Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #37 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Appleyard View Post
It seems to me to be within the bounds of possibility for someone to design a compressed-air-powered rifle with a magazine reload mechanism. The magazine would contain only the bullets, not the explosive parts of cartridges.
Some of the PCP's are like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #38 (permalink)

Likely for each user or group of users it depends on how easy access he has to a supply of compressed air or CO2, which may depend on whether he goes out sport shooting, or he has to shoot routinely as part of his work, or whatever.

Originally Posted by SilvrSRT10 View Post
... didn't want to have to rely on an external source. Once your main source runs out, what do you do when the power is out and you can't get your tank refilled? That's why I went with the cock and go rifle.....
Anthony Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #39 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oppo View Post
Some of the PCP's are like this.
I have a Crosman 760 pump up style BB gun. There is a reservoir for the BB's in the gun. You shake the gun and the BB's move to an slot where they're lined up. You then load the BB's into the firing chamber with what looks like a bolt action. The end of the bolt is magnetic so that you don't lose the BB. One the bolt is closed. You can fire away. But BB's are easier to handle than trying to keep pellets pointing in the right direction.