Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Default Shtf

What weapon system would you want for SHTF AK or AR ? If I had to make a choice it would be the AR. The type of ammo most prevalent would be next. Came up in another forum.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

To answer your question I'd have to go with AR. I just think parts and ammo would be more readily available for that platform. Now if I could select something other than your choices then I'd possibly go for something like this. I like a high capacity shotgun.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Lots of after market parts for ar and repair parts. Not much for ak ,is that because they don't break?
Old 12-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Lots of after market parts for ar and repair parts. Not much for ak ,is that because they don't break?
AK's have survived the test of time. They aren't a favorite weapon of war for no reason. But for here in the US I still think you'd find more AR's and .223/5.56 available than AK's and 7.62. I could be wrong.

TheOl55 and oppo like this.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Definitely the AR15. I can build AR's exactly the way I want them, easily mount any optic or sights that I want, install high end triggers, use high end barrels, easily mount any accessories I want, and I can buy it a part at a time. I can also easily and cheaply load lots of high quality ammo with whatever components I choose. I can also build them in a great variety of calibers well suited to different tasks, some of which would easily convert to 5.56 for under $100 if I felt the need. Others would only be slightly more.

Why would I want a clunky AK? ...and that trigger... (cringe)

Last edited by oppo; 12-20-2015 at 11:04 PM.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oppo View Post
Definitely the AR15. I can build AR's exactly the way I want them, easily mount any optic or sights that I want, install high end triggers, use high end barrels, easily mount any accessories I want, and I can buy it a part at a time. I can also easily and cheaply load lots of high quality ammo with whatever components I choose. I can also build them in a great variety of calibers well suited to different tasks, some of which would easily convert to 5.56 for under $100 if I felt the need. Others would only be slightly more.

Why would I want a clunky AK? ...and that trigger... (cringe)
My train of thought went with his SHTF scenario. If all hell breaks loose and we have to scrounge for supplies I think with the popularity of the AR parts and ammo would easier to find. Everybody and his brother has one and ammo to go with it. I don't know if that can be said for the AK. I know they're out there. But just not in the numbers the AR's are.
oppo likes this.

Last edited by SilvrSRT10; 12-21-2015 at 07:35 AM.
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

While that is certainly an advantage, I think a bigger advantage would be the likelihood of interchangeability with allies, the ability to share mags and ammo or pick up or lend a firearm you or they are already very familiar with. I also think that if you have to scrounge, you are already in a world of trouble and should have prepared better because the only guns, ammo, and parts likely to be lying around for scrounging will be the ones carried by the person you were just forced to shoot. The time to prepare was yesterday.

Last edited by oppo; 12-21-2015 at 12:28 AM.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Any quality AR15 with a Holographic Weapons sight , a VFG, a WML positioned so I can actuate via support hand thumb, fed by Lancer or Tangodown Mags using 62gr non penetrator HP ammo.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Thumbs up

What a co-incidence! I JUST posted a thread about my urban SPR build, then checked to see what's been updated, and this thread got bumped!
Old 12-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I think oppo hit the nail on the head. We all have AR's but we are special ! The gangs on the street have AK's and a good many of third world nations that would love to invade the US on invitation from the UN. Funny how the AK 74 has come on the scene but is being held back by import laws. Thanks for your views ,I will have both.
oppo likes this.