Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Default springfield xd40 opinions

as you know i recently picked up 2 mossberg .22's at a local sporting goods store. the guy at the counter was awesome and saved 2 500rd boxes of ammo for me so i could break in the guns. well i was picking up the ammo today and there is a new springfield xd40 for $535 otd. first off, im not familiar with the pricing on the weapon, and second, is this a good gun worth buying? my handgun experience is mostly from revolvers (mostly 38, 357, 44) and 1911's. other than that, i dont know much about all the other calibers. is this something i should consider? or should i not go for it.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

First, yes, it's a great gun. Very good caliber. Quality handgun.

Here are my two:

The larger is the XD40 service (4" barrel, 12 round magazine capacity); the smaller is subcompact (3" barrel, 9 round magazine).

I've had the service since early 2007; the subcompact has been my daily carry since late 2004. That's not to say that I don't often carry the service, because it gets out fairly regularly as well.

As for the price, I think it's fair, but a little on the high side. I don't think he's cutting you any deals. Of course, my opinion may be skewed since I haven't bought one for 6 years.

Any other questions?
ninja man likes this.
cce1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

thanks for the input. here in ca the price is $550 plus tax and fees. anyone else have any input?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

The XD is a great gun, and $535 out the door is fair. After he pays the tax on it and his credit card fee, he's not making much.
ninja man likes this.

http://www.facebook.com/BrosInArmsWAR
BrothersInArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Full Access Member

the guy at the gun shop is actually selling it for his father. he bought it a couple months ago but never fired it. he wants to get ar parts instead. basically its $500 for the gun and $35 for the transfer fees.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I have the XD40 and XD9. Both subcompacts. They're great little guns. Pretty concealable and still carry 10+ rounds. Almost invisible with a IWB holster.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member

so im am going to most likely go for this tomorrow, unless i hear something to sway me. but it seems that this gun is a decent one to have. now i just have a 3 month wait......ca law permits 1 handgun purchase a month. who the fuck.....why the hell......what the..... oh i guess its so i dont go on a mass murder spree. damn i gues i will run around and chop peoples heads off with a butter knife. that way they can pass another usedul law that says you need a special permit to have a butter knife.......
Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

40 caliber hollow point is what most Leos went to when they were being outgunned with there 9 mm, I have 2 40 Cal glocks but I really like the xds...I shot my friends a few months ago and really liked the way they felt. I'm thinking bout getting one myself but just a thought right now. I think u will be happy if u get one but it will be 6 months before u can pick it up ..... lol
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I had a XD 4" bi-tone for several years and sold it recently to fund something. I kinda regret it. It shot very well, never had a malfunction. I carried it in a Blackhawk Serpa OWB which was very secure but not the best for concealment.

I have been using the .40S&W for over 12 years now. Excellent round with some great self defense ammo to be had. I'm partial to the 180 grain Speer Gold Dot as it is my duty ammo.
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

luckily since this was a private party sale, i only had to wait 10 days for the gun. its been home a while and i have shot it a bit. for some reason though, i am more accurate with this, than i am with my springfield 1911 .45. we are talking 6 inches more accurate. im lost on this one.