Go Back   Weapons Forum > Weapons > General Discussion

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Default at what age?

so im trying to figure something out. at what age should i let my oldest daughter have access to the safe? she is almost 12 now. she stays home and watches her sister who is 8. they are home alone often. is it wise to grant her the code for the safe? and if so, at what age? she is someone i dont really have to look over when she is handling a firearm, over the last 2 years i have taught her everything she should know. and she has retained all the info. i have never had to correct her on safety after the first month of her handling a firearm. my youngest daughter is the same way. she is always very careful with pointing her guns in a safe direction. so safety aside, what do you all think about her having the combo to the safe?

they also are not curious about guns. she has had every opportunity to hold, shoot, and clean her gun. so i doubt she would even go into the safe unless it was an emergency and she needed her gun. hell i got both my girls sig mosquitos for christmas. they sat on the counter for 3 days before i was ready to put them into my new safe. and the whole time, my girls were asking me to put them away. not for safety reasons, but because they wanted their guns to be safe.

Last edited by ninja man; 01-05-2014 at 01:22 AM.
ninja man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I don't think it's an age thing. It's definitely possible that there are 12 year olds with more maturity and common sense than some adults. It's gonna depend on what you are comfortable with. Children by law are not allowed to be able to access firearms without adult supervision. (at least in WI)

My son is proficient with his .22, and knows the ins and outs of handguns, but that doesn't mean he access to my safe. I would not want to be the parent of a child who had a lapse of judgement when I was not around...... showing off what dad has in the giant steel cabinet in the corner to one of his friends, or god forbid even worse.........

Then on the other side of coin is the self protection argument. What if the worst case scenario did happen, and someone tried to harm him when he was home alone. should he be able to get a weapon and defend himself. I don't believe this would be as much of a common occurrence as the latter.

Doors have locks, he has a phone, and he knows other options of getting out of the house and over to the neighbors.
Mockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I know some 30 year olds that should not have access to your safe. He may be a little young still . My son got his own guns and storage at 14.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Super Moderator

That is a call only you can make. You know her best. Her maturity, her self control, her mental state, her level of training, her level of curiosity. If you feel comfortable with all these things then maybe it's time. But I would still err on the side of caution. Maybe start her out with her own rifle and place to keep it. I would sure hate to hear she had a momentary laps and had a ND or worse. Most kids don't recognize mortality until their mid twenties.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I think that you should make that desicion as a family with your daughters input included, your safe has alot of firepower in it.... maybe when she is in high school is my suggestion... my father let me have his info after i got my DL and proved I was responsible enough, i was already safety smart but it is a hard desicion im sure to make...
you want them to be able to defend themselves if you or mom is not home but dont want anything bad to happen by giving her the combo. Honestly I would wait a little bit shes gonna be going thru the difficultys of becoming a young lady no disrespect at all my friend just a fact. I think your wife should be involved in the desicion you make because if you guys differ on the subject its best not to give the kids access till you guys agree....But the bottom line is only you can make the call.....
Concealed 27
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Thomas Jefferson
Concealed 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by SilvrSRT10 View Post
That is a call only you can make. You know her best. Her maturity, her self control, her mental state, her level of training, her level of curiosity. If you feel comfortable with all these things then maybe it's time. But I would still err on the side of caution. Maybe start her out with her own rifle and place to keep it. I would sure hate to hear she had a momentary laps and had a ND or worse. Most kids don't recognize mortality until their mid twenties.
I agree with you whole heartedly, If anything i would get her her own gun safe. That way she has access in case of an emergency, But your stuff is safely put away. JMHO
#860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Living with the knowledge of having killed is hard at any age,but is better than being dead most of the time.
kwo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

the wife thought my daughter should have access as well. but i have been thinking of getting a small biometric to mount in her closet with just the sig mosquitos. the hardest thing for me are the pros and cons of it. there is absolutely no curiousity about guns for either of my kids. the only curiousity is how to take them apart and clean them. they are still learning that part. but since they have been around them so much, there isnt an issue of a "curiousity killed the cat" the flip side, is the lapse in judgment. we all do it, but because she is still 11 does she have a better chance of making a bad move? when i was in wyoming i was 13. there were hand guns, rifles, and ammo just sitting there. i tend to think boys will be more prone to a bad judgment call rather than girls. and here were a bunch of 13 year old boys with access to guns.
Concealed 27 likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Check your state laws before taking my advice

Assuming that home defense is the issue here: Would it be unthinkable to have one firearm in a separate place that she can get to if you're not home and she needs it? A single pistol safe or inside a book on one of your bookshelves maybe?
cce1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
Check your state laws before taking my advice

Assuming that home defense is the issue here: Would it be unthinkable to have one firearm in a separate place that she can get to if you're not home and she needs it? A single pistol safe or inside a book on one of your bookshelves maybe?
Yes be sure of local & state laws, Kalifornia is kinda pissy.
#860 is offline   Reply With Quote