A Rifleman's Journal host killed

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
HELENA, Mont. (AP) — A northwestern Montana man shot and killed the host of the Sportsman Channel show "A Rifleman's Journal" in an apparent jealous rage while the TV personality was visiting the shooter's wife, police said Friday.

Wayne Bengston, 41, then beat his wife, took his 2-year-old son to a relative's house and drove to his home about 25 miles away in West Glacier, where he killed himself, Whitefish Police Chief Bill Dial said.

"It's pretty much an open-and-closed case. Homicide and suicide," Dial said.

Police identified the shooting victim as Gregory G. Rodriguez, 43, of Sugar Land, Texas. Bengston's wife told police that Rodriguez was in town on business and visiting her at her mother's house in Whitefish when her husband showed up Thursday at about 10:30 p.m.

Rodriguez and the woman, who works for a firearms manufacturer in the Flathead Valley, met at a trade show and struck up a casual relationship that police do not believe was romantic, Dial said.

She and Rodriguez were sitting at the kitchen table, talking over a glass of wine, when Bengston entered the house and shot Rodriguez, Dial said.

He then beat his wife on the face and head, most likely with the pistol, he said. She was treated at a hospital and released.

"I think it was a jealous husband, but this is all conjecture," Dial said.

Besides appearing on TV, Rodriguez was the founder and CEO of Global Adventure Outfitters. According to the company's website, he was an editor at Shooting Times Magazine and a contributing editor at Petersen's Hunting, Guns & Ammo and Dangerous Game.

"A Rifleman's Journal" tracks Rodriguez's hunting travels to exotic locations, according to a Sportsman Channel description.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
But he had a wife and 2 kids of his own. I think he got caught trying to bag another trophy.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
But he had a wife and 2 kids of his own. I think he got caught trying to bag another trophy.

No No, I'm saying, the news report I seen on TV just mentioned that the husband who did the shooting, him and his wife that he beat, were currently separated. Now what this dude that got killed was doing with her, have no idea. Maybe have been strictly friends, mighta been trying to get a little action on the side. :shrug: Just saying, the shooter may have jumped to conclusions cuz they were separated.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
If anything positive can be said, at least he didn't hurt his kid. Pistol whipping his wife is a BS move, but at least his kid still has a mommy.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
If anything positive can be said, at least he didn't hurt his kid. Pistol whipping his wife is a BS move, but at least his kid still has a mommy.

Yep. That's probably the only reason he didn't kill her too. He thought of his son at least a little bit.

ninja man

Full Access Member
my thought........ at least there is one less idiot on the planet who could potentially go on a rampage and kill multiple people. still sad to hear about these occurances though. it just adds fuel to the gun ban fire.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Could just ban spouses. That would solve the gay marriage problem and a lot of court time for divorced people.

Members online

No members online now.