Bore Sighting

Cerisecons

Is there a preferred product, or method? I have looked around our site and do not find anything in particular. There are several options/products available on the market, I just want to make the educated choice, and figure this group may have more information.

KKing

Full Access Member
There's several schools of thought on this. Something I've used with good results is the Sight Mark brand laser bore sights. They are built like a cartridge to actually go in the chamber instead of the muzzle so I believe they're more accurate. The bad thing about them...there's no universal fit, you have to buy one for each caliber. The only problem I've had with them (if you can call it that) is that when you're ready to take them out they need a tap from the muzzle end. I've dropped my bore snake in the muzzle to tap them out with the weight and they always come right out. I had to buy my .223 caliber one on eBay because I couldn't find it in stock anywhere

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
If it is a bolt action, you can pull the bolt, set the rifle somewhere stable, and eyeball it. You could actually do that with an AR as well. I just start out at 25 yards and go from there.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
I used one of the laser cartidges mentioned above. The negative it most are cheap chinese crap. On a bright day you will be lucky to see it past 25 yards. I paid $15 for mine and it served the purpose. It got me on the paper faster and cheaper than trying to spot my shots.

If you are doing one rifle go cheap and buy the laser. If you have several rifles, multiple calibers and do it frequently, invest in a good quality kit.

KKing

Full Access Member
I used one of the laser cartidges mentioned above. The negative it most are cheap chinese crap. On a bright day you will be lucky to see it past 25 yards. I paid $15 for mine and it served the purpose. It got me on the paper faster and cheaper than trying to spot my shots.

If you are doing one rifle go cheap and buy the laser. If you have several rifles, multiple calibers and do it frequently, invest in a good quality kit.

Mind sharing what brand you used? I paid around $35 each for mine and they seem to be really well made (although I'm sure it's still Chinese). I agree about the laser visibility, but I knew that going in. I believe some companies have switched over to using green lasers for that reason so that may be something to look for. I found it was easiest to do in the evening as the sun is going down. I was actually really surprised the first time I used this method at just how close it got me.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Mind sharing what brand you used? I paid around $35 each for mine and they seem to be really well made (although I'm sure it's still Chinese). I agree about the laser visibility, but I knew that going in. I believe some companies have switched over to using green lasers for that reason so that may be something to look for. I found it was easiest to do in the evening as the sun is going down. I was actually really surprised the first time I used this method at just how close it got me.

KK,
Amazon and Overstock have several brands and calibers on the cheap.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/5-56x45mm-Caliber-Cartridge-Sighter-Boresighter/dp/B002OKWHVO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1367349029&sr=8-9&keywords=laser+bore+sight]Amazon.com: .223 5.56x45mm Caliber Cartridge Laser Bore Sighter Boresighter: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Cerisecons

Thank you all for the input, got the sight mark for my Win94 30-30, and now have one on order for my 44 Mag and 308.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I picked up the Sightmark Universal bore sight.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL4MSVPuDDs]Sightmark Triple Duty Universal Laser Bore Sight - OpticsPlanet.com Product in Focus - YouTube[/ame]

Members online

No members online now.