Bug Out Bag

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Here's a thread on Bug out Bags. If you've got questions about em; what they're for,what do you keep in em, what should you keep in em, what should you look for, etc. here is your place. If you've got em, post up what you keep in yours.

Hopefully this will be a thread members can go to if they decide they want to keep a BoB, to see what they should include in theirs. All BoB's will be different. What you need in yours will change by region and skill level. But this will be a good place to learn about them.

To start things off, I keep a small bag in my truck. It's more of a "if something were to happen and I rolled my truck out of cell service, I could survive until I signaled someone" instead of a "WROL I'm gonna live the rest of my life off this" bag. Here's my list, I'll add pictures later.

1. The bag is a small water proof bag that has straps that can be attached for backpack carry. Waterproof is a good thing, it'll keep rain out, and if I set up a base camp and water is near by, I can empty the pack at camp and carry water in it.

2. 2 liters of drinking water. This is a biggie. No it won't last long, but it will keep me hydrated for a while. The also serve as water proof containers if I happen to find water.

3. First Aid kit. Another big one, you gotta be able to take care of wounds. Bandaids help keep infections out.

4. Snake Bite Kit. I'm in Texas. I travel to West Texas often. This will help if a rattlesnake bites. It's not an anti-venom, and won't cure it. But it will prolong it, hopefully long enough that I can get help. Inside the bite kit is iodine, that can be used for other injuries.

5. Knife. I always keep a sharp knife on me. I've got a sturdy larger fixed blade in the bag. This is good for chopping wood, spear making, etc. the list goes on. I will be taking off the plastic in the handle and replacing it with paracord. I will have a knife around my neck that has 4 feet of paracord wrapped around it. It's a smaller fixed blade, good for doing more precise tasks.

6. 550 PARACORD. It can be used for so many different thing. You can tie spears together, use it to fish, tie shelter together, hang food in trees to keep animals away, make a bow drill, make nets, the list doesn't end. For those who don't know, it's called 550, because that's the strength of it. The sheathing is rated at 200 lbs breaking strenght. Inside is 7 strands each rated for 50 lbs. In a pinch you can turn 5 feet of 550 paracord into 35 feet of 50 pound cord for fishing. You still have the sheathing to use as well. In emergency circumstances only, you could rappel with it. Make sure you get the real stuff, it's usually the same price as the fake stuff, I'll post up how to tell the difference.

I know I'm missing something, I'll update this thread later. Post up what you keep in your Bug out Bags, it'll give others some ideas of what they should include.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRLP3fxXBqk

Video isn't great, but it does show some differences. Real cord has 7 Nylon strands inside. Fake won't. It may be off on the number of strands, or it may not be nylon. Always get your cord from a reputable place. I order from BladeHQ. Their price is on par with everyone else, and it's real cord so I know I'm not getting screwed.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Carrying water is good but it's heavy and you'll run out eventually. I've been seeing ads for "Life Straw" and other similar items. They're light weight and can fit in a BOB. You can drink water from a ditch through them. Suppose to filter out all kinds of impurities and are good to 250 gallons (Lifestraw).

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U4PQ84/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2YTUP8T9YD2O6[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Vestergaard-Frandsen-LifeStraw-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B006QF3TW4[/ame]

Last edited:

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Carrying water is good but it's heavy and you'll run out eventually. I've been seeing ads for "Life Straw" and other similar items. They're light weight and can fit in a BOB. You can drink water from a ditch through them. Suppose to filter out all kinds of impurities and are good to 250 gallons (Lifestraw).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U4PQ84/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2YTUP8T9YD2O6

http://www.amazon.com/Vestergaard-Frandsen-LifeStraw-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B006QF3TW4

I've been pretty interested in those, but haven't brought myself to buy any yet. I'll probably pick some up and still keep the water with me. In West Texas, water of any kind can be hard to find sometimes.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I've been pretty interested in those, but haven't brought myself to buy any yet. I'll probably pick some up and still keep the water with me. In West Texas, water of any kind can be hard to find sometimes.

Yeah, depending on your location, you may not find water in a ditch. So you have to be prepared for your environment. Good point.

Last edited:

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
But, for how small and light they are, I really can't see any drawback to carrying them.

ninja man

Full Access Member
how about some gloves? where you are you can always get water from cactus. but you will poke the crap out of yourself

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
how about some gloves? where you are you can always get water from cactus. but you will poke the crap out of yourself

Good point. I keep a set of mechanix wear's in my truck for whatever, and i would definitely grab them if i could gwt to them after an accident, but i should probably grab a set dedicated to be in there, in case anythng happens.

Oh and depending on the cactus you have around, you could get a couple fingers on it without getting poked. Then take your knife and just kinda scrape the needles away. They'll fall off readily

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Gloves are a good idea. Not only to protect your hands when needed but also to help keep them warm when the temps drop. It would be good to find a pair to pull double duty. Along with that is a stocking cap. They say 70% of heat loss is through the head. If you're caught out in the cold, you need to keep the heat in.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
How about a bottle of iodine tablets. We always carried them in the army. Small, light and cheap. They don't filter the water but makes it safe to drink. Mmm mmmm nothing like drinking water with chunks of debris in it lol

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
How about a bottle of iodine tablets. We always carried them in the army. Small, light and cheap. They don't filter the water but makes it safe to drink. Mmm mmmm nothing like drinking water with chunks of debris in it lol

You could filter water through a piece of cloth into a container and then add the iodine tab to kill any bugs etc. That way no chunks. You need to be prepared for any situation. One thing for sure. You don't want to drink tainted water. It will make you very sick and you don't need that in a survival situation. You've got to be at the top of your game when things go bad.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Good ideas with the iodine tablets guys! They also supposed to slow the effects of radiation. Would be good to have handy in case the nuclear power plant a couple towns over goes down.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Good ideas with the iodine tablets guys! They also supposed to slow the effects of radiation. Would be good to have handy in case the nuclear power plant a couple towns over goes down.

As I understand it, you take the iodine tablets to fill the thyroid so that it doesn't absorb radiation as easily as it would if you didn't take the iodine. I need to read up on that again but that's kind of what I remembered about it.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator

hmmm, I bet she could.....

Not a bad idea to have a couple for just incase, but there are other options. Even common household laundry bleach can purify water. I believe it's a drop of bleach per pint, then let it set for 20 minutes and good to drink. Of course I doubt that works if you're drinking sewage water. I'm talking to sterilize pond or stream water. In a bigger kit, I do have a gallon of bleach. You can also have different kits for different purposes. You may or may not be able to take all of them but in the event you can, it would suck knowing you coulda, woulda, shoulda after the fact.

Members online

No members online now.